• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

North West Veil

Started by RobertM, Aug 15, 2008, 08:46:00

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

This is the part of the veil nebula immediately north of the famous stretch that Chris has just posted.  If you were to put them next to each other then the other section would join on vertically below the center of this image.

10 x 5 mins Astronomik 13nm Ha on the Sky 90 @ f4.5 unguided.  It wasn't particularly clear later and there were the usual culprits of cloud an moon to mess things up on my first target so finished off on this, I hope you like it.

http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/displayimage-572.html

Full size here:

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi Robert,

I think with that scope at the focal lengths the images are really looking under sampled, maybe time to buy one of the 5mpix SE Sony one's when the come out, I think your setup is knocking on at 3.66 arcsec / pixel, so its  bit undersampled, I try to aim for 2 or less, but it also looks out of focus as well, how critical are you being on yourself with focus?

Good effort though 6/10 :-) sorry being cheeky.

Chris

Fay

Great image Robert. Can't believe it is unguided. You will be walking on water next!!

Chris, what does under sampled mean?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Aug 15, 2008, 11:37:58....Can't believe it is unguided....

I can! Have you seen his kit???!!  :o
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

The easiest way to explaing it is if a star is Round and you try to image it with a Square pixel and the star does not cover enough pixels to make it look round ish then it looks square ish.

Have a peek here http://www.ccd.com/ccd113.html

RobertM

Chris, you are exactly right about the undersampling but there is no where to go from here other than the new Sony CCD or the KAF8300.  My next step is a proper guide scope and dithered guiding which should help a lot with the H9.  Focussing is tricky at this f/l and I need either a 10:1 reducer on the focus knob or a motor focus type thing ... so many things to sort out for next time !

6/10 is a bit less than I was expecting but hopefully next time you can give me 6 1/2 and then if I can get to 8 then I be somewhat more happy :)

Daniel

Wow, lovely image, and I can't believe it's unguided, I've been imaging the veil myself lately but haven't been able to resolve nearly as much definition in the whispy lanes you have there. Which mount is that taken on?

Fay

I forgot about that kit, Mike, I knew we should have sabotaged it!!!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Hey Robert I'm only giving my last effort a 6/10 as well you know.....

RobertM

Chris, you're just too hard on yourself ;)

Daniel, it's a second hand Takahashi NJP - I chose it because they have exceptionally low periodic error and are (relatively) portable.

Fay, It has a burglar alarm, electric fence and guard dogs posted at each tripod leg in case you get past the minefield ...

JohnP

Robert - Image looks very good to me - In my books at least an 8... :-) Hey but my stds are lower than Mr. Suddell's..... :-)

There is tons of nebulosity showing & I love the wide FOV (I really need to get myself a bigger chipped camera)..  The only comment I would make is that it looks a little soft... like Chris said could be focus or moisture. I remember I imaged this area (I think it's the same) on a trip to New Romney Marsh with Chris a year or so ago & it was a very dewy night then & my image came out soft as well....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.punnett/graphics/2007/ngc6995-sep07.html

Anyway great result - John