• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

another pop at mars. (I'll get it right eventually)

Started by Ian, Aug 19, 2003, 07:20:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

how about this one. sorry about the odd colour, but there was detail in the green channel I wanted to use. Unfortunately there was no blue channel information to speak of, hence I propose renaming "Mars the Red Planet" to "Mars the Mustard Planet". Do you think anyone would mind?

As before the simulation is from Mars Previewer II.

Rick

Never mind the colour! The detail in your image is excellent!

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters

Ian, your images are very impressive, compare your images to those from a C14. Have you tried applying sharpening filters to your images?
Some more webcam images thru a C14 http://www.britastro.org/iandi/taylor01.htm

Ian

they are sharpened to the limit, I'll post a link to the source avi in a mo.

There is a member of QCUIAG called Wes Higgins. This guy has a 14.5" starmaster dobsonian and has posted several images of Mars from the current apparition. These are impressive. Search the QCUIAG archives (he doesn't have a web page that I can find :sad: )

I am planning, weather permitting, to do some serious imaging on the two observing evenings next week, if I can get a view of Mars that is not directly over the Orpington bypass the seeing might be a little steadier.

I'm still learning, the red channel was still saturated in places, I might make a request of Peter K3 to include in his next release a meter that separates the three channels rather than a composite that it currently provides.

Rick

Please can I have the ones you've done so far for the website? I want to burn a CD of it, but at the moment it only has one imae of Mars...

Ian

I have a tarball of the three I've currently released. The only missing is the text to go with one of them, I'm PM you a link to download them.

Am I the only one trying for Mars???

Rick

You seem to be the only one imaging Mars. I can't see it from my garden as there's an oak tree in the way...

Thanks.

Whitters

I have had a go earlier in the month, but my PC won't run K3 and the other software won;t handle the huge files I have generated. I may have another go at the weekend. Though with the superb seeing I may be going deep insted!
Good luck with Mars. We would love to have some of your images so that we can put them up in the display at Bromley library. So please get some to either Mike Greg or myself so we can include them. Cheers

Mike

If I had a telescope capable i'd have taken laods of pics of Mars by now. I just have to make do with looking at it visually.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan