• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

ISS 27 July 2008

Started by MarkS, Jul 28, 2008, 00:53:36

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Modified Canon EOS 350D on Celestron C11 at F10.
Single frame of 1/2000sec at ISO 800

Daniel

Thats awesome man, Im definitely going to try that myself next chance I get, by the way did you guy's see the big flare up once it crossed southwards, really impressive

Carole

That's even better than your previous ISS images.

Appreciate the tips on when ISS space station passes over and transit of red spot.

Carole

Mike

Incredible detail Mark.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

I improved my technique for this image: I tied a broom handle to the scope! 

This gave me much improved control for manually tracking the ISS across the sky.

Now I have better control, my next step will be to add a x2 Barlow

Mike

Can you not set it all up with a laser pointer and just track the ISS with the laser? Then again I guess that would interfere with the image.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Excellent image, also you are now a pure british inventor, anyone using a broom handle to monitor a multi billion dollar space station deserves the title of excentric as well.

Chris

P.S. How long was the broom handle and does it affect the image scale?

MarkS

Let me clarify:
I used the finderscope as a sighting device.
I used the (slightly shortened) broom handle as a steering device.

JohnP

Mark - that is excellent you certainly set the mark when it comes to imaging the ISS - Have you tried sending these off to any of the mags? - well done... John

Ian

good stuff Mark. Do you have a licence for a sawn-off broomstick?

I can hear TonyG muttering about mothers in law, but I can't quite make out what he's saying...

MarkS

The same image but with mild deconvolution applied.  Bizarrely, this simultaneously sharpens the image and reduces the noise.

Before and after:

RobertM

Another stunning picture Mark, that really is impressive.  Great idea using the broom handle it must have made a big difference.

How many frames did you manage to catch and how many were usable ?

Fay

Really fantastic Mark, lovely image!!!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Thanks for all your comments.

Robert, I took about 60 frames.  Only 21 actually had the ISS in frame and only 4 or 5 of these were usable.  The broom handle worked well for controlling the mount but I need to attach the shutter trigger button more securely to it - I was fumbling rather.

MarkS

Had another go tonight (29 Jul). The orientation was similar but it was not quite so clear:

Again, Canon EOS 350D, 1/2000s at ISO 800 on the C11 at F10