• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First Emission Nebula with the 450d

Started by RobertM, Jul 06, 2008, 13:19:06

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Another dissapointing night with Maxim guiding so gave up and did this unguided image with the 450d before the clouds rolled in..

North America Nebula NGC7000 and Pelican IC5070, Deneb and Starfield but it needs tons more subs to get over the noise. 

Rocket Pooch

you too eh, what's up with the guiding?

JohnP

Nice wide field - any chance you could post exposure details - it always help when putting up an image... Cheers,  John

RobertM

Sorry John, details here : http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/displayimage-530.html

Chris, It's a Maximdl problem - I can do the guide star calibration but it won't lock on when I select one to guide on.  I just finished installing and setting up PHD when Mr Cloud and his friends turned up so I'll use that next time.

MarkS

Robert,

That is not bad at all for 32 minutes of total exposure on an unmodified, uncooled DSLR!  I'm surprised at how much H-alpha there is.

I notice your description in the gallery says:
"My first shot at an emission nebula with the unmodified 450d."

How long before we read:
"My first shot at an emission nebula with the modified 450d" ?

Mike

Quote from: RobertM on Jul 06, 2008, 14:20:02.....It's a Maximdl problem....

Works perfectly for me.

Nice image Robert.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Hi Mark, yes it looks like I'll have to do the mod, in two minds which way to go though.

MarkS

You're right - there are two ways to dismantle a camera - one involves a sledgehammer, the other doesn't!

RobertM

Having done it yourself, which way would you recommend ?

Ian

Mark, you'll be doing your presentation for a third time at the September meeting ;)

(any plans documenting the sledgehammer method?  :twisted: )

MarkS

Ian,

Bring a camera and a sledgehammer to Tuesnoad and I'll take care of the documentation!

Mark

Mac

If you want a repair manual for your camera try this site,

http://www.manualuniverse.com

i've just checked and they have the schematic and repair manual available for the 450d $18,

I got the repair manual for the 350D and it includes the schematics.

MarkS

That manual could come in very useful after the sledgehammer ...

RobertM

Useful, as in identifying all the parts, much like they do after an aircraft accident !

Ian

but possibly not as useful as a dustpan and brush.

I've got a range of hammers I can bring. If there are any overtightened screws I can probably provide small quantities of explosives too.

So that's the toolkit sorted. Anyone got a camera that wants modifying? The big advantage of this new method is speed. You'll know within seconds whether or not the camera will be capable of taking Ha images or not. This will be closely linked with the capability to take photos of any description.