• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

camera card size

Started by Fay, Jul 04, 2008, 10:10:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

How many MB's in a Gig?

Thanks
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

Depends. There should be 1024M in 1G whether that's bits or bytes.

However, hard drive manufacturers have long since ignored that convention and stuck to 1000. Looking at a 1GB card I've got, it looks like solids state memory is the same. It's capacity is 986M, not 1024M which it really should be.

Mike

Quote from: Ian on Jul 04, 2008, 10:27:51...hard drive manufacturers have long since ignored that convention and stuck to 1000.

Which is very irritating. The only reason they do it is to be able to sell HD's at such and such a capacity when in fact it is 2.34% less than advertised !!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

986Mb would be the available size after formatting but yes Ian is right about the hard drive con trick ... 250GB hard drive = 250 real GB - wrong, what they are referring to is 250,059,350,016 bytes (or thereabouts) which is in fact 232 real GB.

Memory sticks, usb drives etc based on silicon memory should have the correct number of bytes.  What you see after formatting should be just over 90% of the quoted capacity once the OS has robbed you for the file system.

FWIW I bought two 4Gb SD cards recently for my 450d but cost was the overiding factor rather than speed - that may be different if you want to capture a quick sequence.

Rick

Technically, the disk drive manufacturers are at least partly correct. The relevant S.I. prefixes are K=1000, M=10^6, G=10^9, T=10^12. The computer folk came late to the game and used the prefixes sloppily. If you want to be clear, there are prefixes for the relevant power-of-2 steps. They are Ki=1024, Mi=1024*1024, Gi=1024*1024*1024 etc.

The other catch is that, strictly speaking, "b" means bits while "B" refers to bytes (usually, but not always 8 bits long). The broadband folk love this, because they can claim that a line is (say) 8Mb/s (meaning 8000000 bits per second).

mickw

I usually get memory here -

http://www.shop4memory.com/

Good prices, good service from Ireland hence Euros.

Could actually have done with some memory on Tuesday  :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional