• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Astro Art guiding

Started by Rocket Pooch, Jun 24, 2008, 00:03:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

I worked it out,

this is 3x4 minutes guided using AA

Mike

What is it you have worked out?

And what are all those black spots Chris?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi Mike,

I worked out how to guide in Astro Art, that's all, I use it for image acquisition so I thought I'd try it with my QHY6 CCD as the guider.  I have not managed to use the QHY with any other programme because the driver relays do not seem to work perfectly, thats all.

Black pixels are the higher value noise taken away from the image, i.e. no sigma combine.

Chris

MarkS

It looks extremely accurate - which mount did you use?

I need to get my guiding sorted ...

Rocket Pooch

Hi Mark,

I have a bog standard EQ6 Skyscan V2.0 old one like Mike's.

Actually I rebuild it and added some new bearings the raw PE is under +- 20 and the curve is ok as well, if you need yours doing I can help!

I did the stats on the guiding this morning and they are 1.42 Arc seconds at FWHM, it needs to be about 40% better for my needs, but that's just fiddling with the settings.  I was also guiding on a mag 10 star!  Yipeeeee.

I think however I will use the £50 guide scope Tony got me at xmas and try this to see if I can get better results, I can explain later.

Chris

P.S. Belarus tomorrow, hangover Friday!

Mike

Chris I need new bearings for mine. Are you able to recommend the ones you bought and if so what make are they?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

The company is simplybearings.co.uk you can spend hours there reading about them I think the RA/DEC worm bearings we're SKF608 series, I'll try to dig out the part number it should be on the EQ Yahoo group, having seen your bearings (oh were missus) I'd suggest you look at getting a new taper bearing and main baearings for the RA as well.  But the RA/DEC worm ones we're about £20 and knocked +-8 off my PE.

Chris

Fay

Chris,

did you have to open two instances? Are you imaging with it as well?

fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Yes I did, but be warned guiding with AA is not for the faint hearted, you need to be able to calculate the scope speed manually there is no good calibration routine.

If you give me the focal length of the scope and why you will be using to guide with I'll try to work out what the telescope speed numbers should be, then I will need the guide rate the mount it set at.

Chris

Mike

Quote from: Space Dog on Jun 27, 2008, 18:16:37I'd suggest you look at getting a new taper bearing and main bearings for the RA as well.

Yeah i'd like to just get a complete new set as

a) My ones have been bashed about to buggery
b) The standard EQ6 bearings are naff anyway

Fay

Thanks, Chris.
I have just checked that Maxim will accept my GPUSB etc, & it all seems to work ok, so I will try that. I am thinking that Astroart will only work with a LXUSB Shoestring.

I feel I have to have a backup as I have that trouble with PHD, with it freezing up.

Fay

Rocket Pooch

Apart from the RA & DEC, all my bearings are standard, and I've not re-greased them :-)

Mike

Yeah but you didn't need to wack them with a long pole and a rubebr mallet to get them out  :o

Fay

Chris, can you hurry up & go away to Wales, so we can get some clear skies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rocket Pooch

Going early tomorrow, so it should be clear tonight because I will have to be in bed early.