• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC6888 Processed

Started by Rocket Pooch, Jun 17, 2008, 10:10:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I've completed the processing of this image now and I've had enough, can't make it look any better, details are:

14x10 Minute Ha Subs Sigma Combined
6x10 Minute O3 Subs Sigman Combined

Combination in MaximDL, aligned in AIP4AIN and Sigma scalling on the Ha channel.  O3 & Ha Aligned.

Then into Photoshop for a HaHaO3O3, False LRGB image, some noise removed.

The saga of the ATIK314L continues, this was an uncooled image, which tells me the Meade DSI3 is a bargain at the price, but I do now have a cooling fix and a Firmware update for the 314 which may fix the over keen pixels, watch this space, so to speak.

John, should I send this to any Magazines?  Is it upto your standards?

JohnP

QuoteJohn, should I send this to any Magazines?  Is it up to your standards?

Wouldn't bother mate looks totally crap to me.....!!!!!! :-)

Seriously, though if you can be bothered I am sure that this will get published - looks brilliant especially considering it was from an uncooled camera.....

Looking forward to seeing a cooled image soon.....

John

Fay

Well done, Chris, very nice. I can't get my head around all the processing steps at this moment though.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Nice one Chris, there's a lot of that lovely background nebulosity showing through.  Could be you've done this already but I think some Gaussian blur in PS would help out with the grainyness in the noise, which is surprisingly low considering it's uncooled.  More processing but you've probably done that to death now ...

MarkS

That's an excellent result Chris.

One question though. Did you choose Ha as your L channel?  If so why choose Ha instead of a combination of Ha & O3. Not that I'm questioning the decision - I'd just like to understand.

Also, I don't understand your reference to the Meade DSI3.

JohnP

Mark - I think Chris is referring to the Meade DSI III Pro - this is a camera that uses the same chip i.e. Sony 285 as his atik but it is not Peltier cooled (only air cooled). I've no idea what price it is but I bet it is a lot less than the Atik. I think that if Chris can results like this with his uncooled Atik than the Meade might not be a bad option... I might even have to have a look at it myself..

Cheers,  John

Just found this...

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/New___Meade_Deep_Sky_Imager_Pro_III__Monochrome_.html

Only £699 - pretty good...

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I picked the Ha as the L because it had the most data and that region of Cygnus is very Ha rich, also the R & Ha we're scaled differently as well, more complexity I know.

Anyway update on the camera, it now has a new firmware patch all the hot pixels except 2, I think have been software modded out of the image, so lets see if its ever clear again.  Mrs Broom here I come, work that out I dare you.

New camera stats for 5 minute dark are:

Size  ...........  1391 x 1039
Pixels  .........  1445249
Min  ............  0 @ 519 , 1
Max  ............  65535 @ 331 , 244
Background  .....  139
Average  ........  141.98812
Sum  ............  205208191
Std.deviation  ..  163.06865

Chris

JohnP

Sounds a lot better.... can't wait...

QuoteMrs Broom here I come

Guess you are referring to the 'old hag.....'

John

Fay

Who is "the old hag"?

Hurry up & do the next image, Chris!

Not another camera to consider. Meade DSI!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

What are the stats for the difference between two successive 5min dark frames (once the temperature has stabilised)?

JohnP

Fay..... come on....

QuoteWho is "the old hag"?

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040302.html

NGC 6960
aka 'the witches broom nebula'
aka 'Mrs Broom'
aka 'The old hag'