• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Re-building 1878 With-Browning Telescope.

Started by A.S.I.G.N_Baz, Jun 06, 2008, 17:05:29

Previous topic - Next topic

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

My good friend Ron has given me the honor of rebuilding his historic telescope. He handed me sveral parts, some beyond repair, some missing altogether. It has been quite a research project on his behalf just to get me as much information as he can so I have something to go on to rebuild things that havent been made for over a century.

His website, antiquescopes.com lists all the old telescopes of this kind to be found in the world to date, with a full photo and text documentation of the rebuild/restore of this particular instrument.

I for one, and immensely grateful to Ron, for giving me this opportunity, and placing his trust in me with this historically priceless instrument.

I am learning and re-creating metal working techniques that haven't been done in over 100 years. To me, this is experience that I will cherish as long as I live, as I feel a lot of this "manual" skill in engineering is being lost to automation and CNC machining.

Anyway, here are a few teaser pics of the work I have been doing with Ron's constant feedback of information and encouragement. More on his website.
http://www.antiquescopes.com/Restoration.aspx

Cheers,

Baz.

JohnP

Excellent Baz & thks for sharing. Scope looks really good - seems you are quite an expert metal worker.... Have you had a chance to look through the scope.

John

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

I have been at this for over a year now. Here is an animation and video I have been working on, showing how all the parts I have built, come together.

Baz.

http://www.antiquescopes.com:80/Movie.aspx

Fay

Baz,

really enjoyed your video, the music was good as well. You are a clever man. Are you married?

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

What I mean, is, Baz, does your wife appreciate your hobby as it seems you are well keen!

JohnP

eh...! Steady on Fay - You'll be telling us all that you are moving to Australia next....  :lol:

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

awww....shucks!...Should I be blushing Fay? :oops: :lol:

Yes, married happily. My wife does not share my passion for the stars and creativity, but she supports me every step of the way with patience and grace. It is a wonderful thing to not feel the need to give up your passions just because you are married. I would never ask anyone to give up theirs for me. It's sometimes sad to see that others sometimes forget that they married a person how they were, then spend thier lives trying to change them.

Not so in our marriage, we don't change each other, we grow together. ;)

Baz.

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

DUSTY WORK!! Cough, sneeze, splutter....

I got a lot of work done on the old scope today, including carving out the mold for the cast iron pour for the lower half of the mount.

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Coming along.... You should check out Ron's site! http://www.antiquescopes.com/Restoration.aspx
I just had a good read through it all last night. What a story is emerging.

Baz.

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Here's todays work...my poor hands.....  :(

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Well, the last bits are done and installed. I drove up to Sydney to return it to my good friend, Ron.

What a challenge and journey it has been for almost two years! I have Ron to thank for entrusting me with this task. I learned so much about how things used to be done over a century ago, all by hand.

FANTASTIC. Now I can sleep for a few nights before I get onto the next project.....

Fay

That is amazing, Baz, you are certainly clever & very keen & dedicated. Have you had a look thru yet?