• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Submissions for Gallery and News pages

Started by Rick, Jul 16, 2003, 02:29:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

I've been giving some thought to making more frequent updates to the News and Gallery pages. I hope you've all had a look at the experimental gallery, and the News page should be familiar to you. In both cases the content is the important bit, and the layout is pre-defined.

For News page articles the content is:

• A headline
  • A web link (optional)
  • A small picture (typically no more than 200x200)
  • The text of the article
For the Gallery, the content is:

• The picture (up to about 600x600)
  • A thumbnail (95x95 exactly)
  • Details about the picture, including who it's by, when it was taken, what it's of, and some description to go on the full-size image page.
I toyed with the idea of using a web form to make submitting things easier, but e-mail submission is probably the easiest to manage.

Thoughts, anyone?

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2003-07-15 18:30 ]

Whitters

Yes I think that e-mail would be fine.

Are we still looking at holding all images on-site or is it worth considering using off site links to the images even though the script to the image would be held on the OAS site?

Problems I can think of holding images off site
* Unavailable server
* Image moved location or removed from server by owner of site without informing OAS webmaster.
* greater oppotunity for malitious image hit by a black hat.

Advantages
* We don't use up so much of the space available on the OAS site.
* Thereby making more space available to members who don't have web sites of their own.

Rick

I've just re-arranged the gallery a bit. The selection of images is still there, but the whole thing has moved into a sub-directory, and I've added links to my archive page and those members' home pages I know about. I've almost done sorting out the template files too.

I'll aim to keep the entire gallery archive on my home machine (no worry about space, but slightly limited on bandwidth) and the highlights on the website on Demon's server (limited space but higher bandwidth). I'll aim to keep things together, so that there should be no mixed-site pages.

Once I've got templates sorted, members can use them as a way of displaying their own images on their own web space if they wish. Again, it'll be up to them to put html pages and images on the same site. Some images will inevitably end up duplicated on each site, but that way the integrity of each individual site is not going to be affected by unannounced changes on another site.

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2003-07-16 00:50 ]

Whitters

Rick

Spot the updates.... :wink:

(New images in gallery, and new gallery submission instructions.)

Whitters

Excelent stuff Rick,
Now get your cameras out chaps, and feed the gallery.
:smile: