• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Moon and Mercury - Mike's astro challenge

Started by Whitters, May 07, 2008, 00:35:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

Back is still knackered so no scope :-( , but it doesn't stop me getting the camera and tripod out.
Canon 30D 55mm 5 second exposure

Moon 30 hours old, and Mercury.

MarkS

Nice one! Captured just through a gap in the trees!

RobertM

Very nice, it captures the mood of the moment perfectly - also shows that you don't need a telescope for a good picture !

Rick

It'll be interesting to see how the shots folk took at last night's observing evening compare. Not all that surprisingly, your sky looks a lot darker than the one we had... ;)

Mike

Nice one Paul !

Mark and I got the same shot. I will upload mine tonight.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

My one is here:

Nikon D70 with Nikkor 300mm lens at F8. 
13sec exposure (piggybacked on telescope) at ISO 200.
This is full frame but 1/4 scaled.

Mike

Here's my one. Nikon D70 with 300mm Nikon ED at F5.6 for 0.5 seconds

It was only after seeing that Mark's picture was at ISO 200 that I checked what mine was and found I had left it on ISO 1600. Doh! That's why it's so grainy, plus my focus isn't as sharp as Mark's.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Both very nice pictures indeed.  Mark has caught more Earthshine but I might disagree with you on the focus Mike, it looks equally sharp to me at this scale and you've less LP showing.  Neatimage might remove a lot of that noise...

Rocket Pooch

oh thats nice,,,,  i was driving back from wales at the time so i didn't get the tripod out etc, but you never know it might be clear tonight.

chris

Whitters

Rick

Mike

MarkS

Fay

Great pictures, it is behind a big tree in my garden but will have to have a go somehow.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!