• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Light Box

Started by Fay, Apr 20, 2008, 20:54:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Great Mike, because you described it as foam board, I assumed it would be like cardboard or something.

Being that I have developed a fetish for looking at any box anyone is carrying & weighing it up, & only looking at box's when in M & S, I will go to Hobbycraft tomorrow.

Thanks a lot.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Weighing it up?  I thought "light box" meant it wasn't dark!

Fay

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Apr 22, 2008, 12:27:46Being that I have developed a fetish for looking at any box...

You'll spend ages in Hobbycraft then !   :o
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Don't know whether it helps but I found this artical on buiding a light box today...

http://www.asignobservatory.com/LightBox.aspx

Fay

I was looking for that site Robert, good.
My lightbox has been started now. I noticed in 2005 Mike had put details of how he made his box on UKAI.

Rocket Pooch

Blimey if Mike had to put instructions on UKAI about how to make a box it reinforces my opinion of most people on that site....

Fay

The light box bulb wires are now going to be connected to the cigarette connector that goes into the battery.

Can anyone tell me which position in the connector the red goes please?

mickw

Should be the one going to the centre pin of the plug.

Bonus Info:

This months Practical Astronomer has articles on Flats and Light Boxes  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Thanks Mick, for wire information. Yes I saw the articles, would you believe they are in there this month!

Fay

Put the scope thru the hole in the light box & it seems like a snug fit, but it does not stay in that position, it settles at an angle, with the box weight. Does the scope glass have to be level with the bit of plastic with the lights behind? 

Also, when you take a light frame & hold the mouse on the image, I will aim for around 28,000 ADU, should the mouse show this level over the whole frame or will it vary?

Thanks

Mike

Does it have TWO layers of foambaord so that it holds it in place?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

NO, I think that is the problem. Will have to be sorted! Thanks Mike

Mike

Should have followed my design ;)

Fay