• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

uba guiding

Started by Rocket Pooch, Mar 04, 2008, 01:46:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

hi,

i just managed to image at 1.32 arc sec / pixel with the dmk and q6ccd, i need to take some flats tomorrow, but it worked, untra guiding for under a grand at 1340mm!!!!

chris

p.s. mike my mount is now +- 10m arc/sec 20 arc/sec in total and nice and smooth.

Mike

How? And whats a Q6CCD?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Chris - I can tell you are happy... :-) Looks like the strip down & regrease was all worthwhile. What prog did you guide with was it K3 or PHD?

John

MarkS

Sounds good Chris.  I also noticed the sky clearing last night but it was too late to do anything serious.

However,  I did a quick outdoors experiment with an unmodified  webcam stuffed in the back of my Nikkor F4.5 300mm lens - I think it will be O.K. for guiding so long as I can find a brightish star in the vicinity.  But can it accurately guide a C11?  Dunno, but I'm certainly going to try!  Target: M51- not uba guiding but minimalist guiding ...

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Ok the setup was cleaned EQ6 with new sealed RA/DEC worm bearings giving a PE of +-10, total 20 ARC/SEC.  EQ Mod 113d Carte Du Ciel, Logitec Rumble Pad, K3CCD Tools driving via ASCOM.  My guiding was .8 arc/sec per pixel adv over 2 hours with a 2 arc second peak, i hit the cable.

The QHY6CCD is one of these http://www.qhyccd.com/QHY6.html

The guide cam was a DMK 04mono

The guide scope was a 80mmF5 scope 400mm focal length.
The imagaging scope was the LX200R 8" @ F6.7, FL=1,340 mm, actually it was longer because of the focuser setup.  But this is long enough.  The guide scope is less than 1/3rd of the length of the main scope.

I have not posted the images yet because I need to take some flats, there not good and have no filters other than IR so there was some light pollution and also clouds, but I'm still chuffed the laptop etc worked.

If its clear tonight I'll chuck on the UHC-S filter clear the CCD etc and go for some very small target.

M95 from last night was 3.1 x 2.9 in size and mag 11.4, so a tough target, the results are not good, but bloody amazing consider where I am, will post the crap image as soon as i can...  This is the SEDS Image http://www.seds.org/messier/m/m095.html

Chris

Oh yes and my Vixen has arrived, there is a God.

Mike

Quote from: Space Dog on Mar 04, 2008, 10:58:24Oh yes and my Vixen has arrived, there is a God.

Damn! Another month of clouds and rain !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

That QHY6CCD looks like a very interesting camera for a very reasonable price.  Looking forward to seeing some images from it ...

Rocket Pooch

Well this really is a bad image because it was just a test of the mount, longer exposures and also an lpr filter would have been nice.

Whitters

That will be a long *#@*!#* wait then :-(

Whitters

You got some real nice round stars in that image Frodo

Rocket Pooch