• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Another Mars

Started by MarkS, Feb 20, 2008, 22:24:02

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Taken Sunday evening (17 Feb).  SPC900 webcam on the C11 with 2 barlows.  96 frames of 0.2sec stacked using Registax and then wavelets applied.

Whitters

Top shot Mark, And that disk is so small at the moment. Excelent

MarkS

JohnP

Great image size Mark - I think you are brave even trying this seeing how damn small it is.....

Ian

there seems to be a salmony sort of coloured edge on the left hand side. Have you tried aligning all of the colours? You'll find mostly rubbish in the green and blue channels on a Mars image though.

But, now without being picky, fantastic image. :)

MarkS

The salmon colour?  There are vast lakes of flamingos on Mars which can be seen from space.

Seriously though, I really have no idea.  The colour registration is fine.  Possibly the red channel became saturated somewhere during shooting or processing  - would that cause salmon?  Tonight  I'll review my processing sequence - if I can't find the cause I'll post the original (after stacking but before wavelets) so you can play with the image yourself.

Ian

of course, everyone knows flamingoes are that colour because of the shrimps they eat. And they said Mars was too salty for life...

I couldn't work out where that was coming from either, but the pole is the same sort of colour.

It could just be that's the way it is right now.

One big fish farm.

with flamingoes.

and feather boas.

what were we talking about again?

JohnP

Ian - You been taking something again.....? Mannnnnn!

MarkS

I can't work out where the salmon came from but I probably haven't post-processed it optimally.

Here is the raw stacked image from Registax (cropped to 256x256) for anyone who wants to have a go ...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the_shelleys/photos/mars256.tif

Tony G

Great image Mark. ;)

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Ian

I've had a look at it, and I think that border of a fishy hue has come from the blue channel. Unfortunately, the blue channel have almost no data in it at all (which is usually the case for a mars shot). I'm now trying to synthesise a blue channel to help with the colour balance...

Mike

I like salmon. Leave it in.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

You're right Ian.  There's something strange about the blue. Maybe the answer is to do wavelets on the red & green and just leave the blue as it is.

MarkS

That seemed to help - leaving the blue channel without a wavelet transform:

Before & After:

Fay

Mark, all your images have usually been captured amidst a lot of calculations & workings out, trying to find out what is the best you can get out of your equipment at 5am in the morning!

If you had been around quite a few years ago, I think you would have been one of those with false wings on trying to master flying or trying to ride across the Sahara on a push bike, to see if it was possible, or climbng Everest without oxygen to see if you could do it!

Before you all ask, I have only had a couple!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!