• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Mars and Saturn

Started by Tony G, Feb 18, 2008, 22:49:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Hi all,

Still loading more images from the weekend, and these are of Saturn and Mars, and like I said in post with the moon shots the camera was only taking shots in black and white (I didn't find this out until Sunday lunchtime when I started putting the AVI's through Registax)

Mars (I think),

Saturn (definitely) ;)

Taken with ToUcam Pro II, Skymax Pro 150mm, an assortment of barlows and processed in Registax.

Tony G

PS this is my first ever Mars :o
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Daniel

Fantastic stuff tony, I've been blaming the angle of the rings for the reason i can never seem to see the cassini division, now i think i'll have to have another crack at it before they really are edge on. Im starting to wonder what im doing wrong, I can't even see the detail you have here through my eyepiece let alone image it, which Barlow's are you using right now?

JohnP

Yep Tony have to agree with Daniel - fantastc stuff. The Saturn is very good - only comment would be more frames to reduce noise & colour of course... :-) Your focus looks spot on.. Mars good also although, I guess it's getting pretty distant now so a bit small but you can still see surface markings though - no sign of the alien though that was in the news a few weeks back!

John

Fay

Tony, really good images, especially Saturn. Do you see a lot of movement when using your x4 Barlow?
When I tried the Moon with my x2, it looked like it was under water. Perhaps it was a bad night. I am  a bit out of practise with doing avi's.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Excellent image of Saturn Tony. If that was in colour and with more frames to reduce noise it would be stunning!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

we've all sort of abandoned the planets recently. Good to see you're paying them some attention. I wonder if some of noise in the Saturn image is as a result of processing rather than a problem with the original data.

Why are they mono?

And that is good for a Mars, given how small it is at the moment :)

MarkS

That's a good image of Saturn.  But what has caused the noise?   
It looks like you've compressed the jpeg too much.

If that's not the cause then send me the non-jpeg version - I have a few tricks for noise removal.

Tony G

Hi all,
Thanks for the comments. In reply to some of the questions, the barlows are x2 (meade), x3 (celestron) and x4 (imagemate). The Saturn image was taken using the x3 (my favorite) as was Mars, as the x4 tends to lose some clarity, and x2 is just a smaller image than the x3. The reason for the B&W images is ....... well there isn't a reason it just happened :evil:, like USA 193 falling from the sky, nobody knows why it just happened, and as for the processing, if I knew excatly what I was doing I may be able to say it was that, but I'm only making it look pretty. :D

I'll have another go at the weekend hopefully and do some longer AVI's  :o

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Whitters