• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Seeing Forecast

Started by MarkS, Feb 11, 2008, 14:10:31

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I've been following the experimental seeing forecast at http://www.meteoblue.com for 2 or 3 months now.  It is generally a good predictor.

The forecast for the seeing on Tuesday evening (12 Feb) is better than any I have previosuly seen.  It could potentially be a great night for high magnification planetary/moon viewing. 

To see(!) for yourself, go to the site and create your own login in "myMap Server".  When you enter that page select the "Astronomy Seeing" tab; select your location on the map and then hit the "make Map" button.

You want to see dark blues in the High/Mid/Low cloud forecast and greens in the seeing 1, Seeing 2 and Jet Stream rows.

MarkS

But transparency might be nil because of fog  :evil:

Mac

at least with the fog you can go out and play Jedi with those green laser pointers.

Ian

now Mac, you've not been browsing some smilie hosting websites have you?

Anyway, we wouldn't be anywhere near as juvenile as that.

BTW, what was the value of that resistor you mentioned for the dew heater? I need a laser-pointer warmer...

Mac

Carole

Ah, some-one else who's laser pointer doesn't work when it gets cold.

I was going to shove it in my underwear to keep it warm but was a bit worried about the laser if it got switched on, does it do any harm except to eyes, does any-one know?

Carole

Ian

so many comments, so little time... ;)  :twisted:

No, you won't be burning holes in your smalls with your laser pointer (unless it's a stupidly powerful one (200mW, most are less than 5mW) ).

I think I'll stick to trying to come up with an electric warmer myself.

Mac

Visiting smiley web sites.

Who me?

That would be silly

I dont have that much free time

Or maybe i do.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/

Loads of them.

Ian

thanks for that resistor value Mac. Btw, I'd recommend using 1/2 watt ones, a 1/4 watt will self destruct eventually...

Tom C

Quote from: MarkS on Feb 11, 2008, 14:10:31
I've been following the experimental seeing forecast at http://www.meteoblue.com for 2 or 3 months now.  It is generally a good predictor.

The forecast for the seeing on Tuesday evening (12 Feb) is better than any I have previosuly seen.  It could potentially be a great night for high magnification planetary/moon viewing. 

To see(!) for yourself, go to the site and create your own login in "myMap Server".  When you enter that page select the "Astronomy Seeing" tab; select your location on the map and then hit the "make Map" button.

You want to see dark blues in the High/Mid/Low cloud forecast and greens in the seeing 1, Seeing 2 and Jet Stream rows.

Great link there Mark, cheers. Just what I have been looking for :)

Fay

Carole, don't warm your laser in too delicate a place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

All this with the laser, reminds me of a tune my Dad (I was to young to remember this) liked years ago by Debbie Boone 'You light up my......... ?' :-?
As for the excellent seeing, I could see the mist rolling in and I could see that excellently and the heavy dew as well. :o

Oh yeah 'You light up my life' was the name of that tune. ;)

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Well, the forecast was certainly accurate - at least for the early part of the evening.  In spite of the bad transparency I saw my best ever moon through the C11 in the early evening.  A visual feast.  It deteriorated fast however before I could get onto Mars.  And then the fog rolled in ...

MarkS

The seeing forecast (www.meteoblue.com) for tonight and tomorrow (Tue/Wed 23 April) is very good - all three indicators are green.

Get out your high magnification planetary kit but don't blame me if it's wrong!

Mike

Where on there is this seeing map you are referring to ?

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan