• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Ist Image - at Last!!!

Started by Carole, Jan 26, 2008, 01:02:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Not sure if I've uploaded the photo properly as the only web space I have access to is on Facebook.  This was a single frame photo of Saturn which I had not intended to do as my first image, but as Regulus was the last alignment star and it was close by I thought - "what the hell". 

Alignment was good, Saturn stayed in the eyepiece for over an hour and it is just as well as I had a lot of problems with the K3CCD tools which kept freezing on me and finally after I took this single image it froze completely and I cannot get it back and therefore was unable to take a video and stack.  It comes up with the message (Access violation at address 7E 485A42 uin module "AVICAP32.DLL" Read of address FFFFFFF).  I have had problems with this before, I am sure there is something faulty as there is no logic in why it works sometimes and not others. 

I have no idea what settings I used unless K3 retains the last settings used and if that is the case:  ETX105EC, without Barlow, Brightness and gamma minimum, 5fps, shutter speed 1/25 and gain 2/3s.

If I haven't managed to post this image OK can I E Mail it to some-one to post for me?

Carole

Carole

Nope, the picture didn't post.  Can I E Mail it to you Mike for posting?

Ta
Carole

doug

:)

Looking forward to seeing your Saturn, but I didn`t understand all the techblurb about the imaging.  You`ll have to explain that to me, Carole.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Ian

looking forward to seeing it Carole. If you have no joy from Mike, any of us can help get it on the forum and gallery...

It's a bit like hearing someone's had a kid, and you're waiting for the first photo...

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Thanks Mike for doing that.

As I said this is only a single image because K3 froze on me before I got to do the video - I pressed the single image instead of the video button, still haven't got my head around with button is which as the icons look so similar. 

Still at least I got something at last.

Carole

Carole

By the way Ian, thanks for the offer of getting me onto the Gallery as I think that must be what I have to do to be able to attach images in future.  I had already sent a PM to Rick for an account, but I see you can also do that.

If it's not going to cause any confusion (with Rick) can you set me up with an account for the Gallery as I am hoping now I will be doing more in the future.

Can you send me an E Mail, either on the Website or my home E mail with the access code.

Thanks
Carole

Fay

So glad to see you are on your way, Carole. No stopping you now.

You could go into FLICKR on web & you would be able to upload your images onto there for putting on Forum.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Well done Carole, not bad for a single image off your webcam
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Well done Carole.  It's a great feeling getting that first image isn't it.

Carole

Hi Mark,

Yes and a great relief too.
Probably a great relief also to every-one who's been supporting me and giving me advice.

I still need to sort out the problems with the software and then hopefully after that it's practice makes perfect and tips.

Carole

Delphine

Rick

Carole, I've set you up a gallery ID.

Tom C

If my first photo turns out like that I will be well chuffed!

What equipment did you use Carole?

Carole

ETX105EC
Focal length 1470mm (57.8"), aperture 105mm, focal ratio F/14

IR filter,
Phillips PCVC680 USB VGA (Webcam) 

K3CCD Tools version 1 (free download)
(and the brains of Mike, Ian, John and others)

This I have been told is only suitable for Moon and solar system so if you are thinking of going in for Deep sky imaging and haven't already bought your telescope etc then get some advice. 

I already had an ETX so decided to "cut my teeth" on moon and planets and if I later want to progress to deep sky will have to get the appropriate equipment.

Thanks for your nice comments, yes I was quite chuffed after a marathon of problems. I was very disappointed however that after getting everything right the software let me down at the last minute when I could have done even better than just a single frame. Never mind - hopefully next time.

Carole