• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

17P_Holmes

Started by JohnP, Dec 05, 2007, 23:50:15

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Popped out last night in between the clouds - It was very windy so decided to try widefield of 17P Holmes. Used EOS on ZS66 with 0.8X Flattener - acquired 10 x 45secs unguided at ISO800 - It was a very quick & rough image..

Anyway this thing is massive - pretty feint now - I could just see it with 10x50 bino's - I struggled a little to find it through the EOS/ZS66.. I guesstimate that it's approx 60 arcmins or 1 deg in diameter i.e. twice the full moon.

The attached images are a sampled down version (800 X 600 pixels) & a crop from the full size frame to show you how massive it looks on the EOS.

I can't wait to look at this with the 12 inch dob at Tuesnoad...

Anyway hope you like,

John.

MarkS

Nice image John!   It certainly is huge now.  Looking at the background stars in the star chart I agree with your estimate of 60 arcmins.  Far too big for my C11   :(

Mike

Very nice John. 60 arc mins - Thats huge !! I was hoping to get an image of it this weekend (weather permitting). If it is that big it will have to be a job for either the ZS66 or my Nikon D70.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Hi Mike - yep definitely Nikon & ZS66... It filled an appreciable part of my EOS frame & I was using the ZS66 with a 0.8X Field Flattener... Good thing about that though is that it was reasonably easy to image as I didn't need to bother with guiding etc. & accurate Polar alignment.

Hi Mark - thanks for your comments - took me a while to find it because it was so big & diffuse...! I wasn't using a finder scope so had to basically point my scope in general direction & take short 5 to 10 sec subs till I could see it...

I would say given the chance down at Tuesnoad this will look great - also nice low power eyepiece on the 12-inch....

John

Tony G

Another good image John, and hopefully you can remind me (again) how to do something similar at DSC.

Mike this image is on spaceweather.com today and is a 90 sec exposure with a Nikon D70 and nothing else.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

NIce! I'd be pleased with that. Let's hope we get a gap in the clouds over the weekend.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

It sure is a weird comet. Last time I remember seeing one that covered an almost circular patch of sky that large was IRAS-Araki-Alcock back in 1983, and it was that large because it was close...