• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter and Ganymede Shadow

Started by Ian, May 20, 2003, 16:30:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

This was taken on 10th May. It was my 1st observation of a shadow transit and 1st time I've tried to photograph it. The seeing was poor maybe 3/10 particularly as Jupiter is now heading toward the horizon rapidly. The image of Jupiter itself is not particularly impressive but...

The image has also captured the Satellite Ganymede, which at Mag 5.3 and 1.2arcseconds across is very dim. However this is not a composite although there is a little burn-out of the detail at Jupiters equator.

Rick

Had to hunt for Ganymede, but spotted it eventually. :wink:

Mike

Nice - Shadow transits are very nice to look at. First time you see them you're not quite sure what your looking at as the shadow is so sharp with no fuzzy edges at all.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters

That is a great image, I saw it thru the scope and it is vry apparent dark spot on the planet, At first I thought it was some dust on my eyepice.