• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hope is isn't coming this way!

Started by Fay, Nov 02, 2007, 19:28:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

This image from BBC site, shows the size of Earth in comparision to Comet Holmes

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

It did cross my mind that it might be coming in our direction as we cannot see a tail, but having found a picture on the web taken by the professionals (I guess, as I can't remember who took it) there was a very faint tail to be seen.  Also if you look at our members images, plus this one from the BBC, the coma does seem to be off centre, so I hope this does indeed mean it is not heading in our direction. 

PLUS I think we would have heard about it by now, or maybe they are keeping it quiet like in Deep Impact!!!

Carole

MarkS

This wonderful, interactive 17P/Holmes orbit viewer Java Applet from NASA's Jet Propulaion Laboratory should put everyone's mind at rest:
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=17p&orb=1

Ian

what? those guys that said they put a man on the moon? Like we're going to trust them  :roll:

JohnP

For thse that are interested here is a plot of its position through Perseus for next 90 days according to SkyMap Pro... No idea what will happen to its mag over this time but hopefully may still be around for next DSC..

I hope so as I hope to be back imaging in a few weeks....

Cheers, John.

PS - Are there any qualified plumbers amongst our members as I have some DIY questions....!

Tony G

Post your queries here, or PM me with any questions John, and i'll try and answer them or ask someone at work.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Cheers Tony - I will email you a picture & give you a call tomorrow if that's OK - Thks,  John