• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Vulcan Bomber flies again

Started by Ian, Oct 18, 2007, 16:35:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7049694.stm

Fantastic news. Nothing to do with astronomy, but as a 4 year old, I stood under the shadow of one flying at an airshow. Happy memories, although I think I was a little frightened at the time...

Mike

Great news!

Have you read that book "Vulcan 607"? One of the best books i've read in a long time.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Not a lot to do with it, but did you see that documentary about digging that Super Fortress, I think, out of the ice in the arctic, & trying to get it to fly again?

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

I'd recommend Vulcan607 to anyone with even a passing interest in the Falklands.

Fay, was that the one they got just about ready to fly home when someone accidentally set fire to it and totally wrecked it?

Fay

Yes, and one of the men died while restoring it.
Amazing documentary.

doug

I have been a member of the "Vulcan to the Skies" club for a few years now and have received information from them in the form of News Letters.  It was magic to know that she is up there again after all the hard work that the volunteers put in the restoration. 

I only wish that I had been able to do more..... like being able to assist !!!             

And yes, Fay, I saw the documentary about the Flying Fortress, the "KEE BIRD" in the Arctic.  How sad was the ending when she caught fire.  All that work gone up in smoke.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Fay

Yes, it was gutting. Especially when that man was still working when he was so ill, to get it done. I think it is covered in ice again now. Don't forget your clock, Doug

Fay