• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

K3CCD stopped guiding, any ideas?

Started by Fay, Oct 15, 2007, 09:55:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I had done 6x600 secs on M31 & started to do RGB when K3 stopped guiding. The graph in Drift Explorer just stopped. I had to close it down & restart 3 times before I got it working again. This happened 3 times, so I had to give up on the RGB.

I had a jumpstart battery box of which I had cut out the front & gaps in the side for cables, to put the laptop in when there is a lot of moisture, There is plenty of room & it does the job, but I had not cut out a hole for the vent underneath or the vent in the side. Do you think that perhaps there was not enough room for circulation even though I was outside & the laptop was not that tight a fit? The laptop was warm but not hot.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Did you completely power off or just do a restart? It is always best to completely power off, leave it a while then restart.

Have you tested all your cables?

I found with my own laptop that I can't power my SXV off the USB ports when on battery power. Acer said this was a "Power saving feature when running on battery". I told them it was moronic not to give the user a choice over that.

Anyway, this means I have to run my laptop off an invertor, which is no big deal as my battery is hefty enough to cope with it and run it for a whole weekend happily.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

I do use an invertor. I was thinking the laptop may have overheated a bit. I only did a restart, not power up. I have never had this problem before.
My laptop does not go into power saving mode when connected to mains, invertor or external battery. Only if I am using the laptop battery.

Fay

Ian

usual questions...

Have you added any software or hardware since it worked last? You did have a thread recently on plugging USB stuff in. Have you accepted any updates to Windows from Microsoft?

Fay

No, no new software. The enquiry about the bus serial adaptor was in anticipation of getting a mouse for laptop. The guiding was ok for the 6 x 600secs.

Fay

Mike

I doubt overheating will be the issue. They usually turn themselves off or reboot if that is the problem. Though it might be worth a clean out of the fins around your fan and CPU if you have had it a while or have used it in dusty conditions.

I have had a similar problem ocne or twice and I have found a complete power down and back up of both the laptop and the mount usualy solves it.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Fay - K3 is quite 'buggy' I often have problems with my guiding freezing...especially when I have two instances of K3 running (i.e one guiding & one imaging) - the only solution is to shut K3 down & pull out all my camera's & start again.... This is actually the problem I had on the Saturday night at Tuesnoad when I was getting wound up & all but kicked my scope over before I started doing my DSLR images of m31 & 45 etc... I rebooted my computer about 4 times & it was still freezing/ locking up so I gave up in the end.....!

John.

Mike

Fay use MaximDL it is FAR easier.

JohnP

Fay, Mike could be right... I'm hoping that when I use my new (2nd hand camera) I can use say AA or Maxim or the like for acquiring & then just use one instant of K3 for guiding - I'm hoping this will solve my lock up issues... we will see (when & if I ever finish the damn bedroom.......)

John

Fay

Yes,

I think that is my next thing, I will read up on Maxim for guiding etc etc.

Fay

Mike

Quote from: JohnP on Oct 15, 2007, 15:12:16.... can use say AA or Maxim or the like for acquiring & then just use one instant of K3 for guiding....

John - In MaximDL you can acquire and guide at the same time in the one application.

Fay

I hope I can understand the notes I took at your house Mike, as I will definitely use those 3x R + 1G & do combine.

It looks so easy watching you.

Guiding etc looks a must as well.

Fay

Mike

Fay if you come to the pub tonight i'll bring my laptop and show how to do it.

Fay

I was hoping you would say that!
I have been sitting here for an hour trying to fathom it out.

Fay