• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

m31 & m45 Tuesnoad - EOS300D

Started by JohnP, Sep 18, 2007, 21:36:26

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

OK - Saturday night was beautifully clear & for whatever reason nothing was working with my normal imaging setup. I couldn't align scopes, then guiding wouldn't work then K3 kept locking up so after wasting about 4-hrs & loads of swearing (sorry Fay I know that you were near by) & about 5 laptop resets I was all but ready to pack up & give my telescope a kick & reach for the nearest beer can... Chris (thks mate) persuaded me to get my EOS digital SLR out & put it on the WO ZS66. I took a lot of convincing but decided to try it - I used my 0.8X flattener & set ISO to 800. After eventually sorting out my guiding I managed 35 mins of m31 & 40mins of m45 all in 5min subs. I finished up (all on my lonesome) at about 3.30am Sunday morning.. Below are stacked results - All in all I'm glad I made the effort - I hope you like & let me know what you think...?

Cheers,  John.

Jim

John

These are fantastic, the nebulosity around the Pleiades is beautifull and M31 has a lovely 3D quality to it.  I'm inspired to have a go with my camera now.

Jim

Tony G

John.

These are absolutely brilliant, I'm well impressed with my favourite M31, the detail is outstanding, and this has now motivated me more to image the same and hopefully get results somewhere near the quality of these two images.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

WOH!!! That M31 is truly fantastic. Lovely images John.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Brilliant john well worth the nag, download stoik noise removal and run the images through the software its a 15 day expiry, but its worth a try...

http://www.stoik.com/

I really like both the EOS and ZS on M31 gives an excellent fov.

Chris

Jim & Tony, no excuses guys you have newer camera's than John so off you go do some deep sky imaging....

I might even get my camera out.

Fay

Ooooooh, John, I am so inspired now to get the EOS going!!!! I was waiting to see what these two came out like, they are fantastic. Considering you were probably in panic mode, I know what it's like I often get all of those problems myself.

I have sent off for one of those card bus adaptors, so EOS could be next camera out.

Fay 
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Thanks all for the kind comments - I was pretty chuffed with the outcome especially seeing the start I had to the evening.. It was good not to totally waste the clear skies.

Glad also that I have inspired many to give their DSLR's a try - so nice being able to do one shot widefield colour imaging without all the hassle of LRGB/ filters etc. Guiding is also a lot easier as well.... :-)

Tony - images like these should certainly be within your grasp with the equipment you have - I took some one min jpeg's when I was focussing etc. to check framing & these showed lots of details.. You should go for it...

Cheers,  John

Rocket Pooch

Tony,

Do you want me to make you a side by side plate for the camera and telescope?

Chris

Tony G

Chris,

That would be great, I have a box of those aluminium brackets and a couple of a different type, could you make use of these to make the bracket, if so give us a ring.
And thanks Chris for the offer.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Whitters

Superb images John, like the colour balance.