• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Ring Nebulae

Started by Jim, Sep 17, 2007, 10:00:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Well here it is, my first ever AstroPhoto.  Thanks to all who helped me get it.

Jim

I'll try again

If it does'nt work pic is in the gallery

Cheers

(You needed the link to the image, not the image's page... R. Oops... Careful what you edit, Rick! R.)

Rick

Looks promising, with detail in the nebulosity, and the central star shows up well.

There does seem to be some weird screening effect tough. It looks like a post-processing artefact, so it should be possible to produce a version without it. Have you re-sized the image? What does the version without the annotation look like?

(Adding annotation to images almost always degrades them, especially if jpeg compression is involved.)

Jim

Yes, not sure what that is.  I processed the image in K3 and noticed they appeared when I used the unsharp mask.  The original image had the same as the jpeg with comments.  K3 has some parameters to use with the unsharp mask, radius, Threshold and strenght.  Not sure what they are but I'll try and play about with those to see if the artifacts go.

Jim

Ian

looks good Jim, but that pattern isn't right. I wonder if you're using one of the input filters that interpret the bayer pattern on a colour webcam. That camera is a Toucam with a mono CCD isn't it?

Jim

It's an Atik II HS Ian which I think is a webcam with the SC3 mod and a mono chip.  Currently in pieces on my desk as I try to glue the chip back...

Ian

I'm not going to ask...

Ian

on second thoughts, I will. Jim, why is your camera currently undergoing surgery?

Jim

The CCD and board are glued down inside the plastic case (no other support) and had basically come unstuck.  I must have knocked it Sat night and that was the final straw.  Explains why after the first session I could not get any other images out of it!  Bad design really but fixable, just going to epoxy it back in.

Rocket Pooch

Well done Jim, when you have glues the thing back together you can add the RGB :-)

Tony G

Well done Jim,

A lot would start with the moon or a planet or two, but the chairman jumps into the deep end and pulls off an image like this.
Impressive!!!!

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Jim

Thanks Tony
I think luck played a very large part.  The acid test is if I can repeat it!  However I am inspired now to have another go.

JohnP

Jim - that really is very good - well done - when I look back on my first images it's brilliant... I'd be well chuffed. I hope you manage to get the chip fixed so you can have a 2nd try..

Cheers,  John

Fay

Well done Jim! I bet you were well satisfied with that.
You are now well on the way. I hope you don't start showing off!!!!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

I would also wa like to say well done to Miriam also, as I think she,  also, was involved withis first image.
Great things to come.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!