• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

I'm new here...

Started by DavidCunningham, Jun 27, 2007, 08:02:10

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidCunningham

Well, not that new, I have been coming to the meetings for about a year, and thoroughly enjoy them. I have to say the 'spectroscopy' talk has set new standards, but all of the official talks and unofficial chats have some interest.

Initially I was interested in getting more familiar with 'the night sky', and it is a slow process because there is so much of it to learn. Very quickly I have developed a keen interest in astro photography, and enjoy the observing and imaging sessions - on that note a big thank you to Mike and all the people who give their time and energy to educate the rest of us, it is hugely appreciated.

I bought a Meade 8" LX200GPS last year  and have used it a bit, and taken some pictures with a Canon 350D. I realised that I wanted to do more deep sky imaging, and was on the verge of starting from scratch with a new telescope, equitorial mount and dedicated CCD camera (£-ouch), but the session Chris did on webcam imaging of the moon and planets inspired me to keep the 'scope and learn that side of imaging before deciding how to do deep sky. I have my laptop, webcam and Registax at the ready, and am just waiting for a clear night...

JohnP

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. Please make sure you introduce yourself to me at Thurs meeting (if you are going) - You won't be able to miss me as I'll have three kids in tow... :-(

Good to hear that you are into imaging - I'm very mch of the opinion that it isn't worth buying better kit until you know what you can/ can't do with your own. I started with an inexpensive 6-inch reflector & a webcam which I subsequently modified a couple of times to let me do deep sky stuff. This is still my main imaging equipment along with a 300D. Astrophotography is a great hobby & totally addictive. Sounds like you have some great kit already so I look forward to seeing some images (if it ever stops raining... :-( )

Hope to meet you soon,  John

Rocket Pooch

Hi David,

I know I tried to flog you the metal dew sheild, but did I try to sell you the small piggy back brackets I have for your scope, there goign cheap....

Chris