• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Solar imaging

Started by Tony G, Jun 04, 2007, 11:04:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Hi,
just needed some advice as to it would be safe enough to do some imaging of the sun (as a little project) using WO66 and a canon 350D with a kendrick solar filter or would this likely damage the sensor in the camera.
All advice welcome.

Tony G

PS where is everyone????????. No one seems to post anymore since we moved, only a few devolted ones.  :(

WHASSUP with everyone. :afro:
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

Tony

when i did some solar imaging, all i had was a home made solar filter
on the front of the scope and the Nikon at the other end.

There was no problems or damage with the sensor in the camera.

Mac.

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

No it will not damage the CCD, the filter is good enough for your eyes and they are a little more sensitive.

Have a look here there are some stunning images with the Baader film.  http://www.astrosurf.com/re/sun.html

Chris

Fay

Tony, I think there are only about 6 people use the Forum anyway. How can we rope in some more, like Ken , Tony Buick for example.

Chris is in fine fettle this week!!!!

Fay   
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rick

Ten Eleven people have logged in today, and fourteen fifteen in the last week, but Tony B. hasn't logged in since March. Maybe he's forgotten his password? ;)

As for solar filters, the rule is always check them before you use them, especially if they're mylar or some other fairly delicate material. Look out for pin-prick holes and so on.

JohnP

Tony Mate - Back from my travels now.... All the images I have taken of eclipses etc. have been done hand holding a sheet of Baader astro paper in front of the EOS with standard lens connected so shouldn't be a problem - I'll be interested in images they should be good (the EOS & WO should give a good image scale).

Cheers,  John