• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

CERN's Large Hadron Collider news...

Started by Sue, Apr 29, 2007, 08:19:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue

Horizon BBC2 9:00pm Tuesday 1st May

Preparations for Large Hadron Collider experiment to find the Higgs Boson and investigate Big Bang! Due to be switched on  26/11/07.

"...chance of triggering a black hole powerful enough to devour the entire planet.....virtually zero"  Lucky our  November  meeting is on the 22nd then  :wink:

http://press.web.cern.ch/public/Content/Chapters/News/News-en.html

Fay

Just watched it Sue, I really enjoyed it, very interesting.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

Being tested right now, full beam tests next month with collisions soon after. Where's Private Frazier when we need him. We're doooooomed, I tell ye...

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/08/the_large_hadron_collider.html

Delphine

Oh Hell!  I thought that they had already switched it on last year and that we had survived.  That's another thing for me to worry about :-?

Mike

At least it will be a spectacular way to go. Who knows, the resultant black hole might suck us into an alternative reality where everyone is happy and no one has to work and there is zero light pollution !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

I just love his quote

QuoteSuch is the angst that the American Nobel prize winning physicist Frank Wilczek of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has even had death threats,
said Prof Brian Cox of Manchester University, adding: "Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a twat."

Mac

BBC4 Sat 19:30 Lost horizons. The Big Bang (
BBC4 sat 20:30 The big bang machine. (all about the LHC)

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

Delphine

I will be watching the webcam so that I can warn family and friends to run if all goes wrong  :o

Mike

Ian

being black holes, you'd want to run faster than dark...

Tony G

Well, we are all still here then!

Anyone who isn't please sign below ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson