• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

A Weight Problem!

Started by Fay, Apr 18, 2007, 16:17:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I went out to test the WO ZS66 on 160407. The sky did not look too good, but I thought I would just try out the WO on it's own, nothing complicated.

Well I set up but suddenly had a problem with the weights. One weight positioned right at the top of the bar, was too heavy. It was now dark & I rang Mike, who was in the pub observing! He had not had a problem on his EQ6 mount using the WO alone. He suggested fixing my dual plate on with the ED80 for balance. Well, I had only done this once in daylight & was a bit bervous in case I did not attach something correctly. I could imagine one of the telescopes falling off!!!!!Espeially when pointing to the zenith.

It was a bit nerve wracking, in the dark., although the air was blue, as usual! Anyway, it all held together & I was pleased with the plate & telescope  performance. I was using the SX & feel that I am ok taking the image, now. Every subject was on the chip, so it was a good night for alignment!!!!
I had always had the settings wrong but Chris found out the correct one's. I feel I have progressed a lot over the last month, not so good the 5 months before!!!!!!

But I am just no good at processing!!!! Very frustrating, as you cannot see the final result. I did unguided exposures up to 2 minutes on M101, they look ok. The trouble is, that it is so different to the modified webcam.

I feel comfortable using Astroart, but the version I have, has lots of functions missing. It was given to me second hand.
I did not like the stretch on Maxim & find the programme more confusing, as I am not as technical as others.

I am getting version 4 of Astroart & hope to be able to learn how to do everything within the programme.  

I have rung Pulsar Optical & they do lighter weights, which will be good just for a casual viewing or imaging session, not guided , with the WO.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Fay - So sorry to hear you have got a weight problem.. it happens to us all once in a while (normally after Christmas... :-) ) I had the opposite problem - not enough weight.... Just make sure you always mount the scopes (ED80 & ZS66) 2gether & you won't have probs...

John