• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

old fav back on the scene...

Started by JohnP, Apr 16, 2007, 09:43:58

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Can't believe that this is back around already... I went out Sat night & was imaging m101 with SC3 through ZS66 (a tough object - I still have more to do on this & I want to get some RGB before posting) - I finished up around 2.30am & couldn't believe Vega was already pretty high up. I grabbed a quick avi of 20x10 secs of Ring Neb just to see FOV I 'd get with ZS66 & SC3. Quite impressed with the ZS66 - it's split some close stars nicely & you can already make out the central faint star - not bad for such a short exposure..I look forward to doing this properly in a month or two...

Cheers,  John.

Ian

you must have been up late mate ;) I thought it looked a little too hazy to get anything over the weekend. Clearly I was wrong...

Good stuff.

JohnP

Just checked & time on avi was 02:40......  :-(

Saturday night was pretty good - a lot better than it had been earlier in the week (the skies were a lot less orange). I managed to get some L on m101 - I had tried Thurs or Fri night & couldn't get anything....

Cheers,  John.

PS - Forgot to add that I upsized image to 800 pixels wide from 640.. it looked like it could take it..

Ian

It doesn't look stretched, definitely got away with it...

I tend to process at x2 and then resize down again if I don't think the image is good enough.

Fay

John,

I can't believe this is back again. Mind you, you were up late!!!!!

It is a very nice image. You do have the knack!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Fay - although, m57 is tiny is bright & so is easy - you'll easily get it with sc3 & either ed80 or ZS66 - this was only 20x10 secs through CLS & ZS66 unguided at 100%. It would be a great object to try out with the Starlight Express..

Cheers,  John

Tony G

Hi John,
as I said earlier the image is nice and clear and you should get some good images soon at an earlier time in the evening.
By the way Ian it has been suggested before that there is a form of strange vortex or something in Johns garden which he can control mentally so he can get images even when its snowing :lol:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson