• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

VDB142 - Elephant Trunk Nebula

Started by JohnP, Sep 20, 2006, 12:23:53

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Although, the below image is crap I am pleased as it is my most technically challenging image so far. The image is a dark nebula in Cepheus - It represents the sum of 30 X 90 Secs guided exposures. In order to capture this image I had to modify a 2nd Toucam for LX guide control & then figure out how to get the guide cam & imaging cam all working at the same time on my laptop... I'm sure Chris, Mike, Paul & Fay can all sympathise... Anyway after about a month of trying I managed it & below is the first image. This was taken with a Ha filter - I should now be able to take 2 to 3 mins images which hopefully means I can go after fainter objects. Residual Ampglow is still a problem with this length of exposure on the SC3 even though I have done the mod.

The image doesn't come anywhere close to Mike's from a few months ago but for  long exposure narrow band imaging from what essentially is a webcam I think it's pretty good... I'd still love a camera like Mike's though :-) I should be able to improve on this if I try more longer exposures - should also help with the noise - remember my SC3 is not cooled so it gets pretty hot with 2 min exposures...

Anyway here is the image:

Cheers,  John

Mike

John I agree, with a modified webcam that is a very impressive image. Yes it is very noisy, but with a longer exposure as you say it should improve. What did you do in the way of bias and dark frame reduction?

For what is a technically challenging and very dim object your image is well impressive. Well done.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments...

Normally with all my processing I tend to take approx 10% dark frames at the end of the imaging session - this seems to work OK with the relatively short 10-20 secs exposures I normally do.... However, it didn't work for this image last night & Chris told me why... Basically I grabbed 5 X 90 secs dark frames at the end of the session but when I subtracted these from the stacked frames it made the image a lot worse & not better as usual. The reason is to do with the thermal noise in the darks... i.e. the camera (CCD) was at a different temp when the darks & lights were taken - The imaging session lasted over one hour...

It seems I now need to take darks before & after getting the lights... I guess this is the disadvantage of using an camera for long exposure that has no CCD temp control...

I have never taken bias or flats... I guess I need to start looking at these as well now I'm increasing exposure length...

Cheers,  John

Fay

John,

I really like that one, I can understand the challenge!!!
I was trying to have a go at either M51 or M101, but could not see anything at all. I think the viewing conditions would have to be really good. Have you an unprocessed  frame of both of these that I could look at to see what I should expect to see on the screen. I am dying to get a spiral.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

I'll try & send you a raw for M51... It may take me a while as I will have to search my archive files.. M51 is a lot easier than M101..

By the way I finished up imaging at about 1 last night -I gave my laser pointer a quick try (no neighbours lights on etc. & no moon) & it was great - I'm well chuffed with it.. :-)

Cheers, John