• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Culmination of a bad week

Started by Fay, Jun 06, 2006, 17:22:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

My son had a leisure battery he does not use much, bought at Halfords, also the crocodile clips. We cut the cigarette part off & connected the wires up to the clips. To be on the safe side, I rang the chap I had bought the scope from, & asked if the white lined wire was the live & he said that he was not sure but if wired wrong all that would happen is the scope would not work. WRONG!!!!!!! The mount started to smoke! Cue for a mental breakdown!

I rang the chap again & he was surprised what had happened. He said reconnect to the cigarette part & see if the scope was still working, which it was, We redone the wire white = negative, black= positive & it worked. The chap I got it from was very good & said he would have repaired or replaced any damaged part under guarantee, which made me feel better.
Trying it out tonight, fingers & everything else crossed.
Tony be very afraid when doing yours, it could be the devils work today!!!!!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rick

Yeow! I hope nothing's fried in there...

Tony G

Hi Fay,
sorry to hear what happened, but glad you got it going again.
Because of this I am now disconnecting all power to the scope and I am rigging up a tread mill and will operate it with the energy from that with the wife at one end and my credit card at the other, and if I need more energy I will produce my Nectar card aswell.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Whitters

That was the very same way I fried my controller for my Super Polaris mount, cost me over £100 to put it right again.
Always check that the polarity is correct, that's what I learnt. It would not have cost them too much to stick a few diodes in the circuit to prevent this type of thing happening you would have thought.

JohnP

Hi Fay,

That's a real pain especially after the shop (supposedly the experts) had told you the colours. I really hope that there is no further damage - at least if it lights up & the motors work that is a good sign... fingers crossed anyway. Let us know how your test go.

Cheers & good luck,  John.

Mike

When it comes to anything electrical, if in doubt - LEAVE IT OFF !

Let's hope the smoke was just some grease getting hot and there is no permanent damage.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan