• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Animation 73P-B

Started by JohnP, May 13, 2006, 22:53:56

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Hi All,

The other night when I captured the comet with my digital camera I actually took 10 X 1 min exposures. I just spent the last few hours figuring out how to do an animated gif in Photoshop & Image Ready. The result is located at the below link... It's actually approx 1Mb in size (sorry couldn't figure out how to make smaller)

It's amazing the movement of the comet against the stars in just a 10min period. I also noticed that around the middle of the animation it almost looks like the comet nucleus splits but I'm sure this must just be noise or something similar - anyway interesting...

Cheers - John.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.punnett/graphics/oas/comet-73pb.gif

Tony G

Well John
not content with taking great images, you now have gone into great movie making, if you could make it a little bit longer and add a few celebs, you could have the makings of a great sequel to Deep Impact.
Great shots John, keep it up as no one else seems to have captured 73P
like you have. :wink:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Cheers Tony - It was an interesting exercise. It's interesting to see things like the comet tail at an angle to the movement of the comet nucleus instead of directly behind it... I guess it's todo with the position of the sun below the horizon. The animation is not the best (probably due to my polar alignment) but I'm quite pleased.

Cheers,  John

Whitters

Look at that baby move!
Great shots John.

Tony G

By the way, if there's any bit parts going in the next movie give us a bell.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Lots of laugh's.. No problem I'll keep you in mind when I'm casting - Perhaps we can have auditions at DSC...

Cheers,  John