• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

A Comet Splits in Two

Started by Whitters, May 09, 2006, 23:58:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

Space Weather News for April 22, 2006
http://spaceweather.com

COMET NEWS: Astronomers are now monitoring more than 30 fragments of dying comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3, which is approaching Earth for a close encounter in mid-May. One of the brightest fragments, fragment B, is splitting in two in plain view of amateur astronomers using backyard telescopes.   Visit Spaceweather.com for pictures of the breakup, sky maps and more.

Take a look at this one

Whitters

He has even got the 15mag spiral, what a wonderful picture. Where have all our clear skies gone?

Rick

Wow! Great shot! Who took it?

Mike

Awesome !! Would like to know the location and equipment used for that
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Hi Mike, All,

Yes - the comet made a close approach to M57 a few nights ago - shame we were clouded out. Anyhow if you look at the image there is a webpage address from which you can get the following details...

Object ................................... Comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3
 Name .................................... meets the Ring Nebula (Messier 57)
 Date + Time .......................... May 8, 2006 / 0:00 - 3:00 UT
 Location ................................. Observatory Welzheim, near Stuttgart, Germany
 Optics .................................... 0.9 meter reflector @ f/6.7
 Tools ..................................... Lumicon Giant Easy Guider
 Medium ................................. SBIG STL 11000M with SBIG RGB filterset
 Exposure Time(s) ................... Comet:
Luminance: 20x 1 minute (2x2 Binning)
RGB color: 4x 1 minute (3x3 Binning) each color

Stars/Nebula:
RGB color: 5x 5 minutes (2x2 Binning) each color
 More Details ........................... Dark- and flatframe-corrected
 Mount .................................... -
 Guiding .................................. No guiding, but mount ran in 'Comet tracking mode' (star tracking for the background)
 Processing Details ................... MaxIm DL, PhotoShop,
 Notes ..................................... Co-Observer: Steffen Brückner

The galaxy IC 1296 (15.1 mag) is clearly visible between the comet head and the Ring Nebula.

Cheers,  John

Mike

Optics .................................... 0.9 meter reflector @ f/6.7
Medium ................................. SBIG STL 11000M with SBIG RGB filterset

No wonder it's so fantastic !!

LOL !!    :lol:
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Yep - I don't reckon you would class that image as 'Amateur...' :-)

Whitters

HERE THEY COME: More than 60 fragments of dying comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 are racing toward Earth. There's no danger of a collision. At closest approach on May 12th through 16th, the mini-comets will be 6 million miles away.

That is close enough, however, for a marvelous view through backyard telescopes.  Many of the fragments are themselves crumbling, producing clouds of gas and dust mixed with boulder-sized debris. As some fragments fade, others brighten, surprising onlookers. It's an amazing display.

Visit http://spaceweather.com for sky maps, updates and images from around the world.

Rick

Oh for a nice handy really dark sky. It should be quite a sight.

Tony G

Hi
the garden session at Mike's tomorrow night is looking good for observing and maybe some nice images of the comet (i would be pleased just seeing it)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

According to metcheck and the Met Office, all we are going to be observing is the bottom of our wine (or cider) glasses.

Whitters

Mike,
Thanks again for a great evening

Delphine

I can't beleive it.  I have just come back from a cruise in the Norwegian Fjords and saw this enormous star in the east and have only just found out what it was.  If I had known I would have taken a piccy of it.  How frustrating!!!!!!!!

Mike

And now it's not visible till very early in the morning. It's moving fast ! Does anyone know if it will come around again in a few weeks/months ?

Rick