• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

11-Day Moon

Started by JohnP, May 09, 2006, 09:28:45

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Hadn't intended imaging last night but popped my head outside around 9'ish & it looked quite clear so I decided I'd give my new WO ZS66 SD-APO it's 'first light'. I quickly threw it on the LXD75 & did a quick alignment & then slewed to the moon. I was impressed with the view & managed to capture a single exposure through the EOS-300D before clouds rolled in.... :-(

Anyway here it is - Image is just a crop of the moon full size... I reckon that I could fit approx 7 X 5 moon diameters into full frame - i.e. FOV 3 1/2 deg by 2 1/2 deg so I'm looking forward to trying some widefield stuff down at DSC..

Cheers,  John

Rocket Pooch

Nice and crisp, did you sharpen it at all, or was that what it came out like?

Also how small was the moon in a full frame?

JohnP

Hi Chris,

Yes I sharpened a little (not much though) & adjusted curves... that was it. I captured image in raw format which is always a little soft...

Below you can see full frame - which as you know is 3072 X 2048 - Like I said above I reckon you could fit 7 X 5 moons in full frame - approx 3 1/2 deg X 2 1/2 deg...

Cheers,  John.

Mike

John, looks promising! I wouldn't mind a quick test shot with my SXV-H9 on that scope at DSC if I can please. I am considering getting one myself for those huge nebulaes out there and I am interested to know the FOV I would get.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

No Problems - I'd be interested to see results as well.... Cheers, John

Tony G

Lovely image John,
not that it needs enhancing but you could also do an AVI through your camera and process it through Registax, just a thought from a novice.
I'd be happy with that image whatever way

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Cheers Tony, The EOS-300D doesn't have Video capture so No I couldn't - I could take multiple single frame images though & stack them in Registax if I wanted. The beauty of using the 300D is that I can take the whole moon in one shot (nice wide FOV).

Thks again,  John

Whitters

Nice image John