• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

4 New Images - Early Sunday Morning

Started by JohnP, Apr 09, 2006, 21:43:29

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

I'd planned on imaging on Saturday night but clouds hampered that - I was just going to bed at 11'ish & had a quick look outside & it had cleared up so I thought what the heck... (wife was already asleep anyway).

First target I wanted was a globular cluster so I went for M3 - I then decided to have a go at the comet 73P that has broken up into several fragments. Fragment B is the brightess. I downloaded the coords into Autostar & wow! there it was bang in the middle of the CCD. Next target was M101 - This is very hard to image due to low surface brightness & large size. Finally after doing some visual on M13 & M57 (unbelievable but these summer objects are already up) I decided to do a quick AVI on Jupiter (first time to image this in a few years) so I popped std Toucam in - however, it was late 2.30am...! & my hands were cold so focus is a bit poor...

The images are as follows - They are not the best because of near full moon & I had a very poor polar alignment & so was getting drift even on my 10 secs subs.... :-( I thinK I forgot to take account of the hour change) - I was pleased to get M101.

Cheers,  John.

Mike

Great images John. Well done for getting the comet !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi John,

Very very good, I thought they would be pants after the way you described them yesterday, and Jupiter, thats excellent, I was not going to even attampt to image it this year but maybe I should.

Nice 101 and comet.