• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

10" Scope

Started by Rocket Pooch, Apr 06, 2006, 16:15:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Bang stars, that's all I can say, a 10" scope it definitely worthwhile.

The scope I got was built back in October 2005 by Orion Optics and is a SPX type dob approx £1000 new its a 10" F6.3 1/8th model.

In general the actual components surrounding the optics are poor like the Chinese rack and pinion focuser and the badly thought out Dob mount which weights a tonne.  I'm going to get a Crayford for it and a set of rings for my EQ6.

However, even though the scope has been bounced around in the back of my car and was out of collimation about 20% I got a chance to use it last night for 20 minutes just having a scan around the Plough.

M51 is very very easy to see with ½ a moon and the gym flood lights on and there was noticeable colour in the stars and very very precise points in the smaller stars this was unexpected, no real problems with the image, oh and colour.  Also this is the 10" I really could see a lot more stars than I would notmally see with the VC200L 8" or the LX90 I had.

I did not get this scope to use as a Dob, that was a spon off, I was after a really good planetary scope.  At 10" and F6.3 (1600mm FL) 1/8th I would think with a 4x Barlow I will be able to get some excellent images.  My initial impressions are that the scope's optics look as good as the LX90 with some extra punch, so at F25 - F30 it should perform well.  I hope.

I just need a small step ladder to stand when it's on my EQ6, I'm not joking either the eyepiece will be about 7-8" in the air......

JohnP

7-8 inches or 7-8 foot....?

Rocket Pooch

oops feet not inches!