• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Partial solar Eclipse from Bromley...

Started by JohnP, Mar 29, 2006, 14:33:53

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

OK - Weather wasn't the best & it was a case of capturing images in between & sometimes through the clouds. I handheld my EOS-300D with my 28-105mm zoom lens set to 105mm. Exposure was manual with 1/2000 sec at F10 selected - ISO 200 I took exposures when the clouds allowed...

I'll hopefully add to my webpage tonight.

Cheers,  John.

PS - Anybody else do any imaging....?

Rick

Ah. You got a view of it, then. Gatwick was cloudy. ;)

Whitters

Nice one John, Your image of 12:01 confirms my suspected sighting at lunchtime, I forgot to take my eclipse glasses with me but caught a glimpse at lunchtime.

Fay

The photo's were fantastic, John, you are very good with your imaging.  
I DO blame you for all the cloud cover!!!!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

The photo's were fantastic, John, you are very good with your imaging.  
Regarding your new telescope, I DO blame you for all the cloud cover!!!!!

Fay

Rick

Jim sent a photo he took during totality in Turkey to the gallery archive. It shows a very quiet corona, but there are some nice prominences.

JohnP

Thks a lot Fay - Did you give it a try with your Coolpix 4500 - You could of probably got similar images...

Jim - I didn't realize you were going to Turkey - Did you get anymore images or use your sun scope... Any chance of a report....?

Cheers,  John

Fay

John,

How did you get the sun in the viewfinder? Did you use a filter?
Fay

JohnP

Hi Fay,

Yes I used a sheet of Baader Solar Film held in front of the whole camera. You can buy it in A4 sheets from most astronomy shops for about £13 for one A4 sheet. See here for example:

http://www.greenwich-observatory.co.uk/acatalog/Celestron_-_Solar_Filters_&_Sheets.html

Once you have the sheet in front of the camera you can just look through the viewfinder like normal with risking damage to your eyes or camera...

Thks,  John

Jim

Hi John and all

Yes, had a fantastic experience in Turkey.  We were based near Side at a beach hotel and had a glorious sunny day whilst the region we were in apparently had rain!!  Totality lasted just under 4 minutes. I based myself at a high point with a view of the sea to the south and the mountains to the north. We could actually see the shadow approaching us from the sea and then recede over the mountains.  During totality we were surrounded by a red sunset circling us and I was able to see both Venus and Mercury in the sky.  I managed to pop a few pictures but I don't now how to post them here.  I've put one in the gallery. I'll bring some to the next meeting.

regards

Jim

JohnP

Excellent Jim - It sounds like you had a 'fantastic experience...' I wish I'd been there :-( I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Thks again,  John.

Whitters

Lovely images Jim. Could you chat for a couple of minutes before coffee about your trip?

Jim

Of course Paul, I'll bring the images on a CD.

rgds
Jim