• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC

Started by JohnP, Feb 27, 2006, 09:02:48

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Anybody on line yet that was down at Headcorn over the weekend...? Just like to know how it went & whether or not there was a chance to do any serious observing/ imaging. I had my fingers crossed for you all - Saturday looked best in Bromley early on but was fairly well clouded out by about 8'ish... I'd really hope to make it but unfortunately I just hadn't recovered enough from my week long illness to risk standing out in sub-zero temps all night.

Anyway I hope some imaging was managed & I reall look forward to the results & experiences of all those new scopes... Tony & Fay especially.

Cheers,  John

Rick

Yeah, I was also coughing and spluttering, and figured I'd better not share the coughs and splutters with folk down there. Hope folks didn't get too cold and wet...

Carole

I only went for the Saturday and decided with Fay to stay at the farm house, I take my hat off to those who camped in such cold and windy weather.

It was mainly cloudy on Saturday with the odd part constellation peeping through the clouds, during which I saw the Great Bears "paws" for the first time ever and Geoff was demonstrating his new laser pointer to the heavens.  Despite the cold there was still great cameraderie and we all huddled round the bonfire like penguins on the South pole.  I unfortunately too close and singed my fur coat which will never be the same again.

I also got my car stuck in the mud and the boys kindly pushed me out in the the morning, so what with my clutch cable breaking earlier in the day, from a personal point of view it was a day of disasters.  

So in answer, not much viewing done on Saturday.  How did the other evenings go, those who braved it and stayed?

Also, can't find future camp dates on the site anywhere, when are they folks?

Carole

JohnP

Thks for the report Carole although sounds like it was a little disappointing from an imaging/ visual perspective. Can any of the 'hardy bunch' report on the Friday &/or possibly Sunday night.....?

Cheers,  John

PS - I think the dates for the other DSC's are:

26-29 May
25 - 28 Aug
17 - 20 Nov

Whitters

Viewing was limited to a few minutes of constellation spotting, we did get tour scopes out on Sunday night only for the clouds to roll in at sunset and then for it to rai on them.
So we gave up and went home.
The new Marquee was excelent, and stayed up in all that wind. It may look a little unconventual...

But it is very roomy inside

Mike

Despite the fact we saw **** all in the way of anything astronomical, it was another great weekend. Beer was drank, air rifles were fired, experiments were carried out with 66 metres of magnesium strip, scouse and pickled cabbage was eaten, cars got stuck in the mud, everyone got very dirty and good fun was had by all, despite temperatures hovering between 0 and 4 degrees C all weekend.

The marquee was very impressive and all we needed was a bit of rock music for it to become a mini Glastonbury !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Anonymous

I did not know Jim din "Kung Foo", maybe he will learn how to do it with his legs next time rather than just sitting down?

And may I ask what Air Rifles we have now?

Anonymous

Sorry I have a cold.

Rocket Pooch

And I also forgot to log in.....

Mike

Chris, we were using Malcolm's Webley, which we found to be very accurate and powerful even from about 80 foot from the target. We had intended to get some rabbits for dinner but the little buggers were obviously tucked up indoors keeping warm. A rat did show its face, but managed to duck the shrapnel and dive into a rabbit hole. We then shelled it with incendiary devices and magnesium bombs, but it survived to tell the tale ;)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan