• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Astrofest

Started by Tony G, Jan 10, 2006, 22:35:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Just posting this information for this years Astrofest on 3rd & 4th of February, if anyone has been before what's it like because at the moment i'm thinking of going unless someone thinks it is not worth it.
http://www.astronomynow.com/astrofest/tickets.html

regards

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Whitters

It is possible that the society will hava stall there in the societies section.
Leave your plastic at home, it can be detrimental to your wealth ;-)

Ian

unfortunately there won't be an OAS display this year at Astrofest. Sue make some in-roads but they only have four tables for societies and they were allocated a while ago, first come first served.

I'm sure there was more than four societies represented last year...

Having said that, I'm going to try and make the Saturday, although it looks like the Alan Chapman lecture is on the Friday :roll:

Sue

I usually go on the Friday - lots of stands to look at/buy from.Talks are on a variety of subjects and they usually have good speakers. Well worth visit .Usually free planetarium show to sign up for too.
Shame we haven't got a stand for our society but hope to have fliers and poster for OAS in the Societies section.

JohnP

HiYa Tony,

Can't comment on the lectures as I've never been to any (....you have to pay for them) but the exhibition's great & well worth the small entrance fee. Lots of Astro goodies to see & experts to speak to - I always go with the intention of not spending any money but inevitably end up parting with some cash. Also, normally try & take the kids with me (or a least a couple) so normally end up coming back with bags full of leaflets & some freebies... pens etc.

I say it was well worth a visit if only for the exhibition.

Cheers, John

PS - You can get beer there to..... yet another excuse to go especially if you catch the train up & don't drive :-)

Tony G

Right that's it, the beer bit on your comments John just tipped the scales, I'm definately going.
Hope they do cider and i'm buying anything I might need before the cider, otherwise i'll be staggering home on the tube with three scopes, five tripods, forty eyepieces and eight cameras(all the same).
So aviod the area on that Friday and if you see me give us a hand.

regards

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Just decided I'm going up Friday - Hope to see a few others there..... John

Tony G

John,
I'm going friday aswell hope to see you there, i'll be the drunk one with all the goodies which i never intended ever buying and ever using.
(Hope the wife doesn't look for the childrens allowance book because she will never find it in kensington)

Tony G

Whitters

How was the Friday exhibition?

JohnP

Great - I only went to exhibition - met up with Tony.. Ended up £150 lighter.. who ever said Astronomy was a cheap hobby... Got myself a set of Astronomik LRGB filters Type II - normally retail at £159 but I picked them up a show special price of £125 from TrueTek - There seemed to be 1 or 2 good other bargains on offer. All I need now is for some clear skies so I can try out some colour imaging with the SC3...

If anyone beats £150 quid let me know....:-(

Cheers,  John.

Whitters

Good deal on the Astronomiks, good choice on the type II.
You won't be dissapionted. I rekon they are the best avalilable.