• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

eyepieces

Started by haymaker, Jan 02, 2006, 15:11:09

Previous topic - Next topic

haymaker

Hi all,

Ok, so I got my daughter a used LXD55 6"SNT OTA with an LXD75 mount.  I am now looking for some advice on eyepieces to get the best out of this setup.

I have the standard 26mm EP and have been looking at either the Celestron EP and filter set or the Revelation EP and filter set.  Any information on these or other sets and where the best place to buy is would be most helpful.

As I have the LPI, would the included barlow make the Celestrion set better value?

Whitters

The Celestron eyepices are good, I haven't had any experience with the Revelation brand. However looking athe the eyepices that are included in the set many of them are very short focus, offering very high magnification, but usualy short focal length eyepices are much harder to use. I use much longer focal length eyepices, and if I need more magnification then I would use a barlow lens.
A 2x barlow will turn your 26mm into a 13mm, so a kit wich already has a 13mm is redundant.
I have found the Televue plossil eyepices very good, they are more expensive than if you buy one of these kits, but you do get what you pay for.
My advice would be to go for a 32mm, and a 20mm plus a good 2x barlow. This will give 10mm, 13mm, 16mm, 20mm, 26mm and 32mm eyepice. However because the eyepices are origionaly of a longer focal length they are muce easier eyepices to use.