• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Horse Head and Flame Again

Started by Rocket Pooch, Dec 09, 2005, 03:21:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

This time high res 25x3 minute subs, bias, flats & darks.  This is a work in progress because I'm tryng to work out the flats....

Big version

http://tinyurl.com/a24dg

Oh and it was fogy and cloudy....

JohnP

I'm impressed posting images at 3.00am.... I was out last night & it was OK to about 1'ish then then mist/ fog rolled in - I gave up then. I was also trying the Horsey with the 1004 + Ha but never found the damn thing..... :cry:

I really like the image - any chance of posting or emailing me a raw... I just want to see what it looks like on the laptop prior to stacking etc.

I also tried NGC 891 but it came out pants.... I need a new DSky camera...

Cheers,  John

Oscar the Cat

Lovely image Chris,
I like the little double star you have picked up in the bottom of the frame, superb tracking and focus to get them.

Rocket Pooch

Hi folks,

Its odd, if I align and process the image in AIP4WIN the flat is not removed properly as above; however, if I process it in AstroArt the flat is removed properly (its great) but the darks are not removed......

Erghhhhhhhh

Mayby I'll ask Mike to try maxim, this image will be a lot better when I get the software working properly.

By the way it was with my £100 80mmF5 telescope, full res HX916, 25 3 minute guided images on an LX90.  The flats, subs and also the Bias took about the same time as the actual image  :( but at least the light box worked  :D

The conditions lat night we're far from perfect, fog and high cloud, so as soon as I get a change I'll guide some 10 minute subs at high res and see what happens then.

Also I got the focus to work in Astro Art  :P its really useful, but also a little fiddly on the wobbly LX mount.

Rocket Pooch

Well, I had a really good chat with some people on the AIP web group on yahoo, and basically my flats are not going to remove all the gradient etc, imaging in fog is not a good thing apparently :-)

Anyway, I think this is going to the Gallery, what do you think?

Mike

The stars are a funny shape, but thats pretty darn good for a sub £100 scope. How about adding some colour ?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan