• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Mars tonight, processed, well for now.

Started by Rocket Pooch, Nov 04, 2005, 23:45:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

I got out for 40 mins tonight, got some avi's and spend 2 hours today processing and combining three of them, the 1st image is an initial stack from Registax, the second is a K3CCD stack or 3xAVI, exported as FITS, combined in Registax 2 and then Wavelett filter applied in AIP4WIN and colour balanced in Photochop CS.

Just trying a PNG file as well, the JPG seems to loose detail on my screen.

JohnP

Very nice indeed - what focal length did you use? Was this first light for the new observatory...? I think the small light patch area at about 2'oclock position might be Olympus Mons....? Perhaps someone else can check..? I like the colours - looks more natural than mine which is a little too 'orangey'..

Cheers,  John

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I think that is Nix Olympia, I'm goign to put some effort into the images I have a probably stack multiple sets of AVI's to see if I can pull out more detail, but last night with the high cloud, fireworks and also a warm scope it was not good.  So no its not in the observatory at the moment.

The images was LX90 F30 2 100sec AVI 10FPS.

Chris

JohnP

Wow! reprocessed version is superb... Very sharp & loads of details - That's unbelievable seeing it was from your back garden in not the greatest seeing conditions... fireworks etc. It's a real shame you didn't try it at DSC.. Mike RU going to give it a try with your new Vixen...?

Cheers,  John

Rick

I can't see a difference between the jpeg and the png. What qulity setting do you use on jpegs?

Mike

Excellent image Chris. The png looks slightly lighter to me.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Anonymous

Yup JPG looks darker but with a little less detail?  Strange.

Anyway, I'd really like to get my paws on a 12" or 14" scope to see what we could get out of mars, or a 5x Barlow (must get one).

Rick

I wonder whether the difference you're seeing is the effect of png providing a way of handling display gamma?