• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Ian's website

Started by Greg, Oct 18, 2002, 17:55:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Great pictures. I've just been to the links page and Rick has put some members links on there. Great pictures on Ian's web space. Go see for yourself.

Ian

thanks Greg. Please be patient with the site, I was too lazy to create thumbnails in advance. The cgi creates them on the fly every time you hit the site. I will be rectifying the situation.

Mike

Yes great pics Ian. I particularly like the one of NGC7662. How about putting on their what equipment, exposure times, etc. was used to obtain the pic ? Such information is valuable to other astrophotographers doing similar stuff.

I'm debating with myself about going for one of the Meade GPS scopes or getting a 10" LXD-55 SNT for a lot less money and using the savings to get a more stable mount and a CCD. Will have to see how the finances go after Xmas. Also looking out for astrophotography done with an LXD-55 to see how they fare.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

I don't think the mount supplied with the LXDs are particularly well regarded for astrophotography. It is basically a cleaned up EQ5 with autostar. I haven't yet reached to point when my ability is outstripping my mount, but I can see the point when it'll happen. Unfortunately there is a good reason why Losmandy mounts can command the sort of prices that they do :sad:

When I deal with the thumbnail issue on my page, I'll also have a go at putting up some technical details.

[ This Message was edited by: Ian on 2002-10-22 16:46 ]

Mike

That's why I am considering the GPS scopes. They are a lot of money, but basically all of the kind of extras you would want for astrophotography come as standard with the LX200's and it is fully PC controllable down to the focusing which is a major bonus as everything can be done from the comfort of your office chair inside.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan