• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Reprocessed M27

Started by Anonymous, Sep 03, 2005, 21:06:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

OK I reprocessed my M27 pic from the 29th July. This time I used Maxim DL (trial version). The alignment feature is far easier to use than in AstroArt. I think I have been able to bring out more detail in it. Compare the two and look at the blue nebulosity stretching out at 90 degrees from the dumbell part.

AstroArt version

Maxim DL version

Opinions please.

Mike

Sorry that was me. Wasn't logged in.

I noticed that the FITS file downloaded in upside down in Maxim compared to in AstroArt !?!?!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Weird about the mirror image. Other than that, the Maxim DL version appears to show more detail, but AstroArt has definitely managed to get sharper star images.

Ian

I've got a feeling I've heard of that before. Something to do with the FITS format not actually specifying whether to start drawing from the top or the bottom as you read the file. Not too much of a problem as long as you're aware of it I suppose, but would be a pain to use FITS for your holiday snaps!

Anonymous

API4Win has a different 0,0 point the AstroArt too. A quick flip of the image sorts it out.

Anonymous

The color balance looks better in the MAXIM DL image, and more detail in the nebula. Are the minimum and max strech values the same for both images?

Whitters

P.S. THe last two were me.

Mike

No the histogram's were different.

The alignment features in Maxim are far easier than AstroArt and there is more control over colour.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi Mike,

Definately the Maxim version, its better, would be good to run it though AIP to see what it looks like, can you zip and put the Raw FITS on you're FTP site and I'll put it through AIP as well.

Also you may like to look at the Starlight Express group, some people think there a new variable or nova behind M27, have a look at http://sabbe.fragzone.se/KPO/05081827.htm

Bye

Mike

Chris I will post up the FITS for you to play with.

I can't find that nova on my images. Will image it again next clear night.

Mike

Chris - here are the FITS files for M27 zipped up as requested (91.4Mb) - http://amateur-astronomy.org/images/M27_29072005/M27_FITS_290705.zip

Mike

Take a look at this shot of M27 that some guy posted up on the Astro Imaging forum. It is 2.5 hours of Ha!! You can see an outer ring around the nebula !!! Might be an interesting project for one night.

Whitters

Rocket Pooch

Hi Mike,

I have done a basic, as in no tweaking at all, RGB and LRGB on the RAWS using AIP2.  Results as follows, I'll e-mail you the FITS.

RGB Image

LRGB toooo much RGB, you only need half the RGB with LRGB

Also there was lots of noise on the stacks because you need darks and Bias frames.

Chris

Mike

The AIP4WIN images look a lot noisier to me.

I haven't done any calibration frames with any of my images yet. I am taking everything one step at a time as there is a lot to learn and I want to make sure I get each step right before moving onto the next, rather than try and do it all at once. You have to remember i've only been doing this imaging lark for 6 weeks and some of you have a head start on me!

So far I have learnt Polar Alignment, PEC, Stacking, Basic Histogram Tweaks.

Next I am going onto learning how to get the guide head and mount to guide correctly as I am aiming for about 10 min subs. Once I have cracked that, then I can get down to the nitty gritty of processing, including producing darks, flats and bias frames for calibration. I made a light box for the ED80 last week (will post some pics of it up later for anyone interested in the design) ready for producing flats as I have already noticed doughnuts thanks to dust on the filters (got some wierd images on Wednesday night as there was a small disc of dew in the centre of the CCD due to me putting the cap on straight after the previous session without checking first).

As you once said "What a learning curve" - Indeed it is a very technical hobby and there is a lot to take in, but I am really getting into it and enjoying doing it. Looking forward to the Autumn DSC now (especially as I picked up my Vixen this morning).