• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

10th Planet in the Solar System Found ?

Started by Mike, Oct 08, 2002, 15:52:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Astronomers have found a new object orbiting the sun which is a bit smaller than Pluto. The arguements now start about if the object is a KBO or a Planet. Visit the link below for the full story :-

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2002/07oct_newworld.htm?list717446
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Greg

Yes, and exactly how do you pronounce the name - quaoar, qaoor, quuoar, quooar, qu..... oh! what the hell. Perhaps, Quivering, Quaint, Quiet these would be more appropriate.

I remember the arguments about the prnounciation of Uranus back in the mid 80s, simply because the encounter of Voyager 2 would mean the american teachers were going to be forced to say a "naughty" word - so it would seem.

I think Quaoar will certainly be raising a few eyebrows ( or is that eyebraoarws).

Mike

"pronounced kwa-whar"

I have often wondered exactly how the stars are pronounced as people say them totally different to each other all the time. I have tried to research this on the internet but found nothing indicating the correct pronunciation.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan