• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Second Light with new toys

Started by Mike, Jul 30, 2005, 18:32:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

OK, I had another go last night for about 4 hours and imaged all kinds of things. Some were binned because they were too small or needed longer exposures. The images below were typically 15 x 15 seconds integrations (x3 for RGB colour). No darks or flats. I need to learn the drift method of polar alignment and to focus better to stop getting bloated stars. Seeing 6/10 Transparency 5/10 - the odd whispy cloud was floating about.

M13

Click this link for the full size image - http://amateur-astronomy.org/images/M13.jpg

M51 (10 x 15s)

NGC 5866 (binned 3x3)

Click this link for the full size image http://amateur-astronomy.org/images/NGC5866.jpg

NGC 7479

IC5070 - Pelican Nebulae in Hydrogen Alpha (Binned 4x4) (Not sure what that worm thingy is)

M57 - Ring Nebulae

Click this link for the full size image http://amateur-astronomy.org/images/M57.jpg

M27 - Dumbell Nebulae

Click this link for the full size image http://amateur-astronomy.org/images/M27.jpg

I've still a lot to learn, but im quite pleased with these so far.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters

You have been busy, Very nice images.

Whitters

How are you processing the color images? They are coming out realy nicely for such short exposures.

Whitters

I want to have a go at the drift method, if we get some clear sky at DSC we can have a go.

Mike

I am simply using the pre-processing function in Astroart 3.0 to average the R, G and B channels and use a reference star on the first image of the set as the alignment star. I adjust the histogram to get a dark sky with plenty of detail. Then I align them against each other, then use the Trichromery function to combine into a colour image. Then I adjust the colour channels to make it look 'right'. I haven't got round to playing with the filters yet. I'm quite surprised how good they are for such short exposures too. I was doing 15 x 15 seconds for most of the images, unless I was 'binning' then then I increased to 20 or 30 seconds. I'm well impressed with the camera and also the GoTo on the mount which puts anything I ask in the frame first time.

I found a nice page on the intranet that explains the drift method with nice piccies and it sounds easy enough so we will give it a go at DSC.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Rocket Pooch

Rocket Pooch

btw the worm is the PE of your mount, its cause either by a hot pixel or some dust on the ccd.

Mike

If it was a hot pixel, surely it would dissapear in the averaging function?

JohnP

Hi Mike,

That's tremendous for your first attempt. Your wide field M27 & 57 are great - are they both without filters etc? I've been playing around with 57 the last few nights out & they are crap. Looks like you are getting some brilliant results - can't wait for more....

John

Mike

Thanks John,

I'm using an Astronomik II LRGB set for the images. And an Astronomik Ha filter for the Pelican Nebulae test shot.

Mike

Just realised on the NGC5866 image, if you view the full frame, you can also see NGC5870, NGC5862 and NGC5867.