• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

we need some help

Started by Anonymous, Jun 22, 2005, 01:35:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Hi

We are an architecture practice that is currently involved in the design of small observatory in Kielder and are needing some advice on the practicalities of astronomy in general and using a Pulsar Skywalker telescope. We would be most grateful if you could direct us to someone that would be willing to speak to us.

Kind Regards

Bruce Bell

Bruce@belltraverswillson.co.uk

Mike

I am sure we will all try to assist where possible. What kind of information do you require?

p.s. please register
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Anonymous

Hi there

We are designing a small observatory with two telescopes - a Pulsar
Skywalker 20" and a Mead 14", with a warm remote viewing room close by and
space and power for other people to come with their own equipment and set
up. It is out in the middle of nowhere in Northumberland in a recently
cleared bit of woodland on a hill.

We know nothing of this area, so heres some initial questions:

what a normal session is like - What is the processes you go through? is
there allot of setting up? How long to you stay for? how long after dusk can
one start stargazing?
Is it a solitary thing, or would you work in groups, just a couple of
people - do people chat?

Is pointing North or South etc important?

What is the difference between an amateur and a professional astronomer?

Technical information -
the pulsar skywalker - we are presuming you plug it directly into a
computer? how is the telescope moved?

What are good conditions? is wind a problem?

Is it important to shut the outside world off (as in most observatories)

What draws you to astronomy?

we would be really grateful for your input

bruce.

bruce

oh and i regestered, it just didn't quite work the first time.

Mike

Bruce,

Other members are more qualified than I to answer some of these questions, but I will try my best. The society did start work on its own observatory and one of our more active members, Chris, is working on hos own obsewrvatory in his garden so he may also be able to contribute....

what a normal session is like - What is the processes you go through? - An observing session normally starts with setting up the equipment, aligning and levelling the scopes (not necessary but heps for tracking and is essential if imaging is being carried out) and also to give time for the scoper to cool down to ambient temperature.

is there allot of setting up? - For normal observing no. For imaging yes.

How long to you stay for? - As long as we feel like. We have often stayed till well after midnight on a good night. On our 'Deep Sky Camps' we will start observing once it gets dark and go on till about 3 in the morning.

how long after dusk can one start stargazing? As soon as you like depending on what your viewing. The moon can be seen during daylight for example and also some of the larger planets, i.e. Jupiter and Saturn. For deep sky stuff you need to wait until its dark, bright stars can be looked at as soon as they can be seen.

Is it a solitary thing, or would you work in groups, just a couple of people - do people chat? We always work in groups, though people usually are doing thei rown thing, i.e. looking at specific objects or imaging. It is a very social hobby, but can just as easily be done solo in your own garden. Scopes only require one person to operate.

Is pointing North or South etc important? The scope must be aligned so that its mounts axis point North, aligned to the polar zenith and the latitude. This is only critical if tracking an object using the scopes drive or if imaging. If you are just observing it is not critical.

What is the difference between an amateur and a professional astronomer? Nothing whatsoever apart from the fact that the professionals get paid for it. We have several professional astronomers from Greenwich Observatory, including our President, who are members. Patrick Moore is also our patron and personal friend of some members. Many discoveries in astronomy are still made by amateurs, especially comets, double stars, nova and supernova.

Technical information -
the pulsar skywalker - we are presuming you plug it directly into a
computer? I am not aware of this model of scope. I would presume it would be controlled via na RS242 interface or similar and be operated using some kind of planeterium software. Most scopes have their own hand held operating device such as the one sthat come with the Meade scopes. These can also be computer controlled.

how is the telescope moved? Via its drives using either the hand controller or a PC. For manual operation the slow motion controls are used.

What are good conditions? Depends on what your viewing. For the moon or planets you can get away with average conditions, dark objects like deep sky galaxies, nebulae, etc. need a good clear light. Light pollution is a problem to content with as well as the atmospheric conditions. A nice dark site, with a good clear sky after a rain storm is usually the best (rain clears the  atmosphere of pollutants)

is wind a problem? - Not if you have a good sturdy mount. For an observatory I doubt it would be a problem at all.

Is it important to shut the outside world off (as in most observatories). - Not really.

What draws you to astronomy? - It is the only hobby where you are able to look at things beyond our own world and even to be able to look millions of years into the past. For me the ability for people in their own garden with modest equipment and a webcam to be able to take photographs of worlds beyond our own still amazes me to this day. Gazing at the wonders in the skies has been something that man has been doing since prehistoric times and we will never tire of doing so. The sheer scale of the universe and our total insignificence as a part of it also something that is humbling.

Well hopefully I have answered some of your questions and I am sure that other members will also give your their perspective on some of your questions.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

bruce

Thanks Mike, for taking the time to help, its really important for us to understand as much as possible before we start designing.

And if anyone else has anything to add please do, as the more informed we are the more likely we will get it right.

Thanks Again
Bruce.

[ This Message was edited by: bruce on 2005-06-23 16:52 ]