• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Portable Power devices

Started by JohnDeathridge, Apr 28, 2023, 18:42:14

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnDeathridge

Hello all, I was asked at the last society meeting to post a review on the portable power devices that I use with my setup.

1st off is the PPT Powerpack 450+ by Portable Power Technology. Link https://www.portablepowertech.com/shop/product/ppt-powerpack-450/.

I had this about 3 years now as I was using it for power in the garage.

2nd PowerOak Portable Power station 1500Watt. I added this because I needed some additional portable power. link https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082WSZJRF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Obviously the 2nd one is considerably more but you do get a lot of power.

My experience with these with the astrophotography setup is that they very comfortably manage the power demands. I had a 4 hour session a about 3 weeks ago using just Powerpack 450+ and it used about 3 notches. I then split between the two devices about 1 week ago for just under 5hours and it took about a notch off each device.

Astrobackyard did a good write up on some recommended devices here https://astrobackyard.com/portable-power-station/ and they advised that a 1500W setup would easily power multiple full nights.

The Jackery devices that Astrobackard suggest are around £450 for 500, 518Wh.

Hope this is helpful to anyone thinking of such a device.

Carole

Thanks for the write up John.  What would happen if you were at a campsite for several days.  Would it last or would it need recharging?

Carole

Dave A

Hi John

Good to talk with you at the meeting on Wednesday evening, it was interesting to hear about your usage of the ZWO AM5 mount so far
Thanks for posting about the portable power supply systems you use- they look really impressive.  Looking at these I am not sure that I would need this much battery power as would not be observing and imaging for hours at a time- galaxies etc
I am trying to focus on Planetary imaging which will just require short video bursts of minutes so would probably need a portable power supply that is not as robust and heavy and expensive too

Is there a portable power supply system that you are aware of that would be better for me

I will also do some research and look on astrobackyard etc

Cheers
Dave 

JohnDeathridge

Hi Dave and Carole, short answer is it depends on how many devices you have attached.

Dave my suggestion for you would be to start with a 450-500 watt device as this should see you over minimal two nights I would think.

In my experience having two devices provides shared load and as such would provide more nights. You can actually charge via the car cigarette port but to be honest I never did that. Alternatively charging one during the day and the other in use. Hope this helps.

Clear skies all

Rick

Generally speaking (and I'm not sure how practical this is for astro-imaging) if you can drive all your equipment from a DC 12-14V supply then any given battery will last longer than if you have to use an inverter to produce 240V AC from it.

Carole

To be honest, I did have a Leisure battery at one time, it was very heavy and would only last one evening.  This was in the days when the campsites we used had no hook up power supply.  Then I had nothing to charge it from for the 2nd night. 

Since then I have always used mains in the garden (with armoured cable), and camping hook up at DSC.

Carole 

Dave A

John, Rick, Carole,

Thanks for your input and suggestions, very helpful
Some more research required before I decide best option for me

Dave
 :) 

The Thing

My most portable rig runs off 4xAA (StarAdventurer mount) and a 20000mAh USB power brick (Raspberry Pi, SSD, USB3 Hub,   autofocus). The only tradeoff is I can't cool the ASI camera as that needs 12v, I tried a step up device with its own USB brick but it wasn't up to it. This lot can capture subs for 8+ hours no problem. Controlled via the built in wifi and a tablet running VNC or NoMachine. All fits in a fair sized old style camera bag.

Dave A

Duncan
Thanks for your feedback on portable power
Currently my goto mount runs off 4 AA batteries.
If i get the ZWO AM5 mount and Asiair plus i will need better power options.
Maybe the power brick will sort my needs, and I dont need to cool the ASI camera as it is for planetary imaging.

Cheers
Dave
 :)

Rick

Quote from: Carole on May 02, 2023, 12:12:12it was very heavy
Modern lithium batteries (LiPo, LiFePo, etc.) are so much better than lead-acid ones, so long as you charge them carefully. Generally, they're a whole lot lighter, too.