• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The definition of insanity

Started by JohnH, Feb 17, 2023, 16:57:32

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnH

Hi all.

I am aware that the definition of insanity is doing exactly the same thing twice and expecting a different result but I have decided to try and get an observatory in the back garden again. Last time did not go well.

It seems sensible to ask whether anyone has heard of/had experience of a firm called "Outsideology"? They appeared to be based near Dorking and have a shiny website. I have found Google reviews up to about 4 months ago.

After the last, expensive, disaster I am inclined to caution. Any info will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Carole

I haven't heard of them John, but as you say after the previous disaster, I would suggest posting the same question on SGL as they have so many members.

Just found one disgruntled person who posted:
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/372067-feedback-on-outsideology-observatories-please-thanks-for-reading/#comment-4056190

You might do better to buy a Shed and pay some-one to modify it for you. 

Carole

Carole

By the way, I think Noel is getting rid of his "Roll off Observatory".

The whole shed rolls off revealing the kit. 

Whatsapp me if you want to know more and how to contact Noel (OAS member who is moving house).

Carole

JohnH

Quote from: Carole on Feb 17, 2023, 18:19:21Just found one disgruntled person who posted:

Hi Carole,

Yes, I had seen that review which gave me pause. The irony is that he then goes on to say that he contracted with Home Observatories as "a much better company" at about the same time that they disappeared with my money!!!!

Oustsideology is very slick (why do I find that that is actually a concern?). They may prove to be too expensive in any event.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Ivor

I recently bought this from observatory for http://www.shedshedsheds.co.uk/products/garden-buildings/garden-observatory/ for £1800 to give you an idea of an alternative. I which I'd gone for the 10 x 6 as the space around the telescope is a little tight in the 8 x 6. To get the most out of this model you also need the shed to be south facing and want a small warm room to allow the telescope to see over the apex of the roof.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hZ6QuMC7sK5HqZsb8

JohnH

Thanks Ivor.

I will have another look at them. I think that when I was looking previously I was put off by some comment that they required the purchaser to supply the running gear for the sliding roof.

Did they erect it for you? Does it seem solidly built?

Thanks,

John

Carole

Does look a neat option but surely they could supply the running gear. 

Carole

Ivor

They come and install it as part of the deal, it's kept cheap by being a cash job. The running gear was included. It's definitely solid however the provided catch for the roof isn't good so I bought some additional ones. My only regret is I had it build with too big a warm room so my refractor gets very close to the sides at the mount limits, I'm coping with 6x5 but would prefer 6x6.

JohnH

Quote from: Ivor on Feb 18, 2023, 20:19:16They come and install it as part of the deal, it's kept cheap by being a cash job. The running gear was included. It's definitely solid however the provided catch for the roof isn't good so I bought some additional ones. My only regret is I had it build with too big a warm room so my refractor gets very close to the sides at the mount limits, I'm coping with 6x5 but would prefer 6x6.

Thanks, certainly worth thinking about.

Regards,

John

The Thing

Hi John,

I built my obsy very easily. Its 2m X 2.5m, if it's bigger you pay tax in France! Strong frame and a pent roof which is easy and light.  A pent roof close to the prevailing wind with a corrugated surface won't blow off so easily.
Pent roofs don't need internal trusses so there is more headroom and it's easier to fit various scopes.

Ask MarkS about normal roofs, his weighs 800kg (2 piers and a sofa inside) and was secured with hasps but the ridged shaped acted like a wing and it ended up in the apple tree.

Mine doesn't have a concrete base, it rests on slabs at each end, think big bedstead, two ends and a bit across to hold the floor. The ground is sand so quite solid.

Robert has a commercial astro ror shed and it's a bit flimsy. The trusses are in the way all the time. Not so practical.

Best shed conversion I've seen was a metal shed, no trusses, light roof, easy to bolt on a frame and runners, but hot in the sun.

Carole has loads of pics of my build. Food for thought?

Duncan

Carole

Yes I have prepared a Powerpoint Presentation on Home Observatories for a later date, but I think that will be too far in the future for John's needs.

I get the impression John is not wanting to DIY his observatory.  JOhn you are welcome to come and see my PP prersentation if you think it might help.

Carole   

JohnH

I am not very practical so DIY is not an option for me.

Carole, I am still looking around so I may well want to have a look at your PP sometime.

All the best,

John

DavidTaylor

Hi John, have you made any progress / decision yet ?

Dave