• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

ZWO Asiair plus smart Wi-Fi controller

Started by Dave A, Feb 04, 2023, 21:36:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave A

Hi everyone

I recently posted about DSLR cameras for planetary imaging and had some great information from some members that has been very useful- so I am definitely not going to get a DSLR but will get a dedicated Astro planetary camera.

I have been researching all other equipment that I may need and have been looking at the ZWO Asiair plus smart wi-fi controller that has many options to help with imaging

Do any of you use this or do you have any thoughts or recommendations

Thanks

Dave

:)

The Thing

Hi Dave

From what I know of the Asiair it's very convenient but you are stuck with ZWO cameras, filter wheels etc.  It also runs it's own version of PHD2 for guiding so you miss out on the latest updates and features as well as PHD support from the online group. I believe the main software is their version of Kstars/Ekos, which is fine. The Asiair is basically a Raspberry Pi 4 running a flavour of Linux and proprietised open source software. For comparison I made my own on an RPi4 using AstroPi3 installation scripts with no prior knowledge. A laptop or mini PC running Windows is much more flexible with a greater choice of software and easy to get any sort of help for. A laptop is what I normally use, it's always on in the observatory ready for action and accessible from in the house using Chrome Desktop or NoMachine or VNC.

Hope that helps and please check the facts!

Duncan

JohnH

Dave,

I use an ASIAir Pro for deep sky imaging (DSI). What I say should also apply to Solar System imaging(SSI) too.

Duncan is correct, you commit to the ZWO ecosystem. In reality for SSI that may just be the camera (ironically, given your previous post I believe that it can also control DSLRs). I have a ZWO electronic focuser and filter wheel but you probably wouldn't need those for SSI.

My ASIAir Pro controls;

Imaging camera
Camera temperature
Guide camera
Focus
Filter wheel
Mount (iOptron CEM25P)

It also powers/controls my dew heater.

On my setup I have a 12v power cable running into the ASIAir as well as an Ethernet cable. The ASIAir sits on my scope (I can slide it to fine tune balance. The ASIAir has 4 USB ports (2 x USB 3, 2 x USB 2) and 4 x 5v outputs.

For my purposes I have a 520 GB memory stick in one of the USB 3 sockets, the other goes to my imaging camera (ASI 1600 MM Pro). My guide camera and mount are plugged into the USB 2 ports. You probably wouldn't need a guide camera for SSI.

The 5v outputs power my camera, filter wheel and focuser as well as the dew heater.

The ASIAir provides a decent polar alignment method and plate solves to synchronise the mount.

Essentially, this is an all in one system. The K-Stars / PHD route has a little more juggling involved. For the ASIAir all you need is an Android or iOS phone or tablet (I sometimes use it with my phone and it is satisfactory).

I mentioned my Ethernet cable. This probably is necessary for the Plus which has an antenna but I have to run the cable to a WiFi extender to operate it from the comfort of my sofa.

In summary, the ASIAir works well and seamlessly (for me). The software does get significant upgrades from time to time.

So, the ASIAair and KStar systems are viable. You are locked into ZWO products but for me that has not been a problem.

Hope that helps,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Carole

I don't use one and agree with Duncan's post. 

However those who do use them think they are wonderful.  Speak to John Hulme, he is the only OAS member l am aware if who uses one. Best to message him as he hasn't been attending meetings of late.  Or maybe he will see this thread.

Carole

Carole

Dave A

Duncan,

Many thanks for the information on the system you use, I will give this some thought and more research and check facts before making a decision, although I am fine that it's only compatible with ZWO cameras.

Carole,

As always many thanks for your reply- many do say the system is wonderful, I will have to weigh up the pros and cons

John,

Many thanks, very helpful info for me .

I believe the polar alignment function is much easier than aligning to 3 bright stars as I have to do with my Sky Watcher synscan goto scope

Do you use a portable power pack battery for the ASIAir or do you run a power cable from the house ?

As the plus has an antenna I am hoping the WiFi signal will be strong enough to control from inside my house.

I wont rush into a decision though, I have been looking at reviews on YouTube and will weigh up the pros and cons

Cheers

Dave

JohnH

Quote from: DaveAllen on Feb 05, 2023, 17:21:30I believe the polar alignment function is much easier than aligning to 3 bright stars as I have to do with my Sky Watcher synscan goto scope

Do you use a portable power pack battery for the ASIAir or do you run a power cable from the house ?

Hi Dave,

The polar alignment function is very easy to use. [I don't know your system, I assume it is equatorial] You set the telescope up pointing to where you think north is and you set the altitude angle as best you can - as close to your latitude as you can get - and start the alignment. The system does a plate solve, rotates 30deg. does another plate solve and then another rotation and plate solve. It then shows you on screen how much you need to correct. After each correction you do a new plate solve (a single button push and, usually after 3 or 4 seconds it is solved) until the system is happy.You are polar aligned - I haven't tried it but I don't think you need to have a clear view to the north.

I run a power cable to the system so that I don't have to worry about how much battery is left.

One of the big advantages for me is the single cable I run into the ASIAir (plus the Ethernet). I tried using a Raspberry Pi but I needed a separate powered USB hub to run everything and power cables for the dew heater.

There are a lot of things you need to consider when deciding which route is best for you. Time spent on that is money saved!

Regards,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Dave A

Hi John,

My scope mount is an Altazimuth not Equatorial

I was thinking I would run the power cable from the House as well

As you say lots to consider so I will take my time- dont want to waste money on wrong option

Thanks

Dave

The Thing

Quote from: DaveAllen on Feb 05, 2023, 19:00:17My scope mount is an Altazimuth not Equatorial

Polar alignment, guiding and much else the asiair provides is moot. You can't use that stuff with an altaz mount unless you put it on a wedge and make it equatorial.

What are you hoping to achieve with your setup? You will be able to platesolve to check your on target and run a camera and use the planetarium but I'm pretty sure you won't be able use that for Goto's.

I had a fork mounted Meade for years and ended up with it on a wedge before deforking it and getting a HEQ5 second hand so I could get some decent guided pictures. Haven't looked back since.

Duncan

Carole

I think Duncan is right Dave, in ASiAir is overkill with an Alkt-Az mount, but if you're planning to get an Equatroial mount at some time, it will have some small uses with an Alt-Az mount and you can benefit from it later with the EQ Mount.

I have never used any such thing, but then I do everything the old fashioned way. 

Carole

Dave A

Duncan,

You are right, ASIAir is not what I need with an Alkt-AZ mount. I am learning about different equipment and probably just looking to find an easier way for imaging

So will probably not go down this route- thanks for your good advice

Carol

Thanks, although I have a goto scope and I got this as thought it would be easier to start using a computerised scope to learn about observing I will probably at some stage get a better scope with an equatorial mount

Cheers

Dave