• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pickerings Triangle and Witch's Broom

Started by Carole, Oct 07, 2022, 09:50:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This is just a test of my new telescope the Skywatcher Evostar ED72 (to replace my WOZS71) taken with an Atik460EX.

It's noisy and needs more data, this is about 3 1/2 hours, but I think this is a good test of the scope.
If the clear nights continue I might get a chance to get some more.  In which case I will ujpdate this thread.

In case anyone is interested to know why I changed scopes.  I loved the optics of the WO scope, but not many of it's features. 

1. WO came with a silly little foot attached to the scope, so you cannot balance the rig, nor rotate the scope within mounting rings.  It has a rotator but this will not turn once the camera is inserted. Whereas the SW scope is inside mounting rings and can be rotated complete with camera if need be so flats can also be reused.  The short dovetail can be swapped out for a longer one if need be.

The WO scope I did try adding a longer dovetail to it but then the dovetail gets in the way of the focusser locking knob.

2. The WO scope has a retracting dew shield, which will slide back taking the dew heaters with it.  The SW has a fixed dew shield.

3. WO scope No finderscope foot, I guess one could be added if I had engineering skills. SW has a finderscope foot.

4. The deciding factor was that the WO drawtube only has a 2 bolt method of fixing the camera on causing tilt in the images.  No way of converting it to a "screw on" fit.  The SW scope has a threaded drawtube and I have removed the 2 bolt piece and changed it for a Baader click lock - tilt gone.

The Thing

Looks like you made a good decision Carole, looking good.

MarkS

That's a great result from your new scope!

Mark

Carole

Carole

QuoteLooks like you made a good decision Carole, looking good.
Thanks Duncan, yes, it fulfilled all the hopes I had for it. 
Just need to sell the WO scope now and have a prospective buyer lined up.

Carole

garrick

Very Nice Image Carole.

Clear skies

GW